Re: [XBL] Scripting Model

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Cyril Concolato wrote:

> In Section 3.2.2 "Scripting Model", it is difficult to know what is
> being defined by XBL, what is defined by other standards, what is common
> practice on the Web but not standard ... For instance the first sentence
> says: "Each document that runs script [...] must have a Window object".
> This does not seem true in general. Is it a special requirement for XBL
> UA. Rephrase the sentence possibly using MUST.

Actually it is true in general, but the XBL spec shouldn't be defining
this. It should be defined by [Window] or [HTML5]. Unfortunately neither
of those is done yet.

> What is the status of the second sentence ? Is it requiring that in XBL
> that the scopes of script is the Window object or is it restating a
> general rule of the Web. If the latter provide a link to the
> specification or the former clarify.

It's, again, something that isn't yet defined.

> What is the definition of "security context" ? Please provide a link.

As the spec said:

"Security contexts are (or will be) described in the HTML5 specification."

I've added "scripting contexts" to that sentence.

This is a bit of a messy area, but I'm not sure what we can do that is
better than this. Any ideas?