Re: [XBL] Accessing flattened tree parents of a shadow tree

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> Ian Hickson:
> > While I understand that you think you want to do this, you haven't yet
> > provided a real use case, nor explained why the solution I gave in:
> >
> >    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-appformats/2007Feb/0068.html
> >
> > ...doesn't address this.
>
> Why was the use case I gave not "real"?

Assuming you mean the centering one, it was real, but it can be addressed
much more easily using the mechanism I gave (center the group, then offset
the group by half the bounding box).

> It seems reasonable to me.  The solution you gave doesn’t address this
> because the containing bound element may not be under my control (it was
> written by someone else) and thus may not implement
> .nearestViewportElement itself.

So extend it, and implement "nearestViewportElement". XBL gives you the
tools to do this -- you could even simply write a binding that applied to
all elements that implemented this property.