Re: [XBL] Accessing flattened tree parents of a shadow tree

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> Ian Hickson:
> > Just wrap the element in two <g> elements, the outer one having a <g
> > x="50%"> and the inner one having <g x="-...px"> where ... is half the
> > bounding box (which you can obtain through the DOM).
>
> Actually there is no x attribute on the g element (although you can do
> that with an svg element), but that’s beside the point.  We want to be
> able to implement the standard SVG interfaces, and some of the
> properties/methods on the standard SVG interfaces cannot be implemented
> without access to the containing shadow scopes.

While I understand that you think you want to do this, you haven't yet
provided a real use case, nor explained why the solution I gave in:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-appformats/2007Feb/0068.html

...doesn't address this.

I have, however, marked this as a formal objection, so you can be assured
that the director will give it at least as much attention as he gave the
many formal objections I and others raised on SVG Tiny 1.2.