Re: A forms-lite straw man

On Sep 5, 2006, at 19:33, Dave Raggett wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>
> Another key difference is that in WebForms 2.0 the data is owned by
> the field, thus a field can state which forms it belongs to. It is
> better software engineering for the field to act as a view onto the
> data. Decoupling the view and the data makes it easier to support
> structured data and to describe calculations for derived fields and
> other purposes.

It is possible and even convenient to use JavaScript closures
attached to the DOM nodes of form fields for binding the form fields
with an XHR-load/saved data model document tree. Such an arrangement
has the benefit that it is backwards-compatible with existing Web
browsers (including IE6).

> If the expression evaluates to false, the field is considered to
> be invalid. I got the name wrong and it should have been called
> validate. The expression could act over just the field's value,
> but it could also refer to the values of other fields. It could
> even call out to a function defined as part of a web page script.

What is the advantage over calling a JavaScript function from the
onchange handler?
http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#setcustomvalidity

> WF2 essentially limits to boolean literals, and you cannot describe
> the conditions under which a field is required. For example, your
> parent's name might be required if your age is under 15.

The onchange handler of the age field can invoke a JavaScript
function that toggles the required attribute on the name of parent
field.

>> The WF2 output element uses a JavaScript expression to evaluate
>> to a string.  What benefit does an XPath expression provide
>
> It is more declarative than calling out to a JavaScript function.

Why is that a benefit?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi