Re: Comments on XBL 2.0 Revision 1.43

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> > > Because that section explains the "loop effect" with
> > > :-xbl-bound-element and :-xbl-binding...
> >
> > I don't see anything in section 5.10 that mentions
> > :-xbl-bound-element. Am I missing something?
>
> Check the last two paragraphs. They talk about loops (:hover is one
> example). This applies to :-xbl-bound-element and -xbl-binding as well.

Well, sure, it applies to anything. I don't understand why you would need
a link from the pseudo-class to that, though, since the pseudo-class is
the last thing anyone would use to apply that property.

> > > The basic problem is that listening for specific events is not
> > > guarenteed to work cross-platform given that some devices might not
> > > dispatch certain events, like some of the mouse events...
> >
> > Sure, but why is that XBL2's problem?
>
> Well, the problem applies to more than XBL, fair enough, but pointing such
> things out to authors might benefit. Those notes don't have to be normative or
> anything...

Seems to me these notes would be better placed in the spec that defines
the events. There are "gotchas" with XML, HTTP, Unicode, URIs, IRIs,
encodings, and all kinds of other technologies that XBL2 relies on, but
we're not going to list them all in the XBL spec.