RE: For ZIP packaging, take a look at OCF (Open Container Format)

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the input and bringing to our attention the OCF Draft. I
personally have not looked too closely at OCF yet, but I'll investigate OCF
as a possible candidate packaging format for Widgets. Like you said, it
depends on its compatibility with ZIP and if vendors are willing to jump on
board and implement OCF specific things (whatever they may be). Just as
importantly, I also need to look at how easy it is for a user to create an
OCF abstract/physical package... and how well does OCF conform to the Client
Side Web Applications (Widgets) Requirements [1], particularly as it relates
to packaging, metadata, and signing?  (at first glance, they are very
closely aligned).

Regarding Zip-64, it is still unclear to me why Opera excluded 64-bit
support in the current Widget 1.0 spec input. Anyone from Opera willing to
give us some insight? Despite what is currently there, I don't believe the
next release of the Widget spec will be restrictive on 64-bit support.
However, allowing 64-bit zip support needs to be further investigated by the
WAF Working Group, particularly in relation to mobile devices/phones and on
widget engines generally.

Once I give the OCF draft a good read over and discuss it with the working
group I will let you know more. I encourage you to also read [1] in the mean
time and send any additional thoughts and comments.

Kind regards,

Marcos

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WAPF-REQ/