Re: Request for feedback on user permissions

Dear All:

I believe our points need a bit of accessibility context. Here's my
suggested opening contextualization. Please edit/comment!

<cut here>

Persons with disabilities have always strongly objected to automated
disclosure of their disability status on the web. This information is
deemed highly personal and irrelevant in most online situations.
Furthermore, having
+experienced various forms of discrimination in the physical world,
persons with disabilities yearn for an equal opportunity in the virtual
world of the web. In the famous words of the <a
+href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Internet,_nobody_knows_you%27re_a_dog">1993
New Yorker cartoon</a>, "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog."

On the other hand disclosing user specific disability related
accomodation needs has also been shown to serve as a powerful vector to
accomodation support simply unavailable but for accessibility aware web
technologies.
+Unsurprisingly, this dichotomy describes yet again the classic
conundrum for web permissions.

We are therefore encouraged to learn that a proofpoint for W3C DIDs was
a trustable disclosure of age, where age is a descriptor reasonably
required of an individual, without also disclosing name and address to
someone who
+may prove to be a stalker. In this proofpoint accessibility sees the
same need the rest of our human siblings possess. To say this from the
accessibility perspective, it's yet another example that one need not be
+wheelchair user to appreciate the curbcut at the street corner.

--

Janina Sajka (she/her/hers)
Accessibility Consultant https://linkedin.com/in/jsajka

Co-Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures	http://www.w3.org/wai/apa