From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 1, 2020 4:53 AM
To: public-apa@w3.org
Subject: Accessibility review requested for CSS Conditional 3

Hi APA Working Group,

CSS WG requests Accessibility review of CSS Conditional Rules Module Level 3 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://drafts.csswg.org/css-conditional-3/__;!!J2_8gdp6gZQ!66MLoouHv8KHNfzqvZWoBMeq21Gsr2LnHoVVl-ZCE3qxNWt1_xYRv7DW6M5FvZosf1BS$

This specification is used to add conditional tests for supported features (@supports) or for particular media (@media) to a stylesheet.
So for example the same document can have different styling on screen and in print, or the stylesheet author can check that some new CSS property is actually supported before using it. This enhances the robustness of styling, especially when older browsers are still in use.

Because this is purely a CSS syntactic feature, we feel that the none of the "if" clauses in the a11y FAST self-review questionnaire seem pertinent.
    https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://w3c.github.io/apa/fast/checklist.html__;!!J2_8gdp6gZQ!66MLoouHv8KHNfzqvZWoBMeq21Gsr2LnHoVVl-ZCE3qxNWt1_xYRv7DW6M5FvUBepylM$

Please raise any accessibility features by opening an issue in the csswg GitHub repo:
   https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues__;!!J2_8gdp6gZQ!66MLoouHv8KHNfzqvZWoBMeq21Gsr2LnHoVVl-ZCE3qxNWt1_xYRv7DW6M5FvYZauhgd$

The specification has been at CR since 2013
   https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.w3.org/TR/css3-conditional/__;!!J2_8gdp6gZQ!66MLoouHv8KHNfzqvZWoBMeq21Gsr2LnHoVVl-ZCE3qxNWt1_xYRv7DW6M5FveoFhgM0$

   https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2013JanMar/0130.html__;!!J2_8gdp6gZQ!66MLoouHv8KHNfzqvZWoBMeq21Gsr2LnHoVVl-ZCE3qxNWt1_xYRv7DW6M5FveMWQ9c5$

but due to the long interval since that time, CSSWG is restarting wide review before publishing a Candidate Recommendation Snapshot.

There is a list of changes since the 2013 CR
   https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://drafts.csswg.org/css-conditional-3/*changes__;Iw!!J2_8gdp6gZQ!66MLoouHv8KHNfzqvZWoBMeq21Gsr2LnHoVVl-ZCE3qxNWt1_xYRv7DW6M5FvRFdkS0q$

The specification is widely implemented
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://test.csswg.org/harness/results/css-conditional-3_dev/grouped/__;!!J2_8gdp6gZQ!66MLoouHv8KHNfzqvZWoBMeq21Gsr2LnHoVVl-ZCE3qxNWt1_xYRv7DW6M5FvTKTBPbP$

and we expect to meet the CR exit requirements in the next few months.

Thanks!

--
Chris Lilley
@svgeesus