RE: ACTION-2239: Review media queries level 5

Regarding “fingerprinting”, would it be advisable for user agents to prompt for permission before a script running in Web context can access such properties? At a minimum, this offers an opportunity for the user to consider the applicable privacy policy and to weigh the merits of disclosing potentially sensitive information supporting inferences about the individual’s disability.

From: Gottfried Zimmermann (Lists) <zimmermann@accesstechnologiesgroup.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 3:13 PM
To: 'W3C WAI Accessible Platform Architectures' <public-apa@w3.org>
Cc: strobbe@hdm-stuttgart.de
Subject: ACTION-2239: Review media queries level 5

Action item 2239<https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FWAI%2FAPA%2Ftrack%2Factions%2F2239&data=02%7C01%7Cjjwhite%40ets.org%7C7e5d546e95744f42277f08d81d29b02c%7C0ba6e9b760b34fae92f37e6ddd9e9b65%7C0%7C0%7C637291412174680949&sdata=4PK9DUGvESPBq0%2BUutJ3VUZTbpTXayXwK%2BXdOuzTiTQ%3D&reserved=0> has been on my list for a long time. I propose we discuss our response to the CSS working group, in particular with regard to additional media features that we might envision.  Note: I plan to be on the APA call tomorrow.

Here is my draft for discussion:

<draft>

Media queries level 5 holds promises towards personal user interfaces on the Web.  We welcome the new media features, in particular those that can help to meet a user's specific needs due to a disability or situational circumstances (e.g. user preference and environment media features). Although we share your concerns about active fingerprinting, we do not see an alternative solution that provides similar opportunities for automatic personalization of user interfaces on the web.

If possible, we would like to see additional media features expressing user preferences for the sake of accessibility (cf. Christophe Strobbe's inventory of GPII common terms at https://remexlabs.github.io/GTx_HDM1.2aX/gpii-common-terms.html):

  *   captionsEnabled: true / false. Captions could be enabled automatically.
  *   audioDescriptionEnabled: true / false. An alternative video (with AD) could be loaded.
  *   signLanguageEnabled: true / false. An alternative video (in sign language) could be loaded.
  *   signLanguage: language tag conforming to IETF BCP 47, for selecting an appropriate sign language video.
  *   pictogramsEnabled (true / false): Determines whether pictograms should be added to support people with a reading disability or a general cognitive disability.
  *   displaySkiplinks (always, onfocus, never). Authors could show or suppress a skip-link.
  *   tableOfContents (true / false): Authors could show a table of contents at the beginning of a page.
  *   sessionTimeout (Integer in seconds): Determines how many seconds a user can remain inactive before a session times out. People with certain specific disabilities need longer session timeouts. This would serve a need in WCAG 2, SC 2.2.1 Timing Adjustable (A).
  *   selfVoicingEnabled (true / false): Determines whether a Web application's self-voicing feature should be enabled.

</draft>

Best regards,
Gottfried

 Prof. Dr. Gottfried Zimmermann