W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-apa@w3.org > August 2020

Re: Agenda: APA WEEKLY Teleconference; Wednesday 19 August at 1600Z

From: Matthew Atkinson <matkinson@paciellogroup.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 17:06:25 +0000
To: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, W3C WAI Accessible Platform Architectures <public-apa@w3.org>
Message-ID: <43D465B7-DAD7-490F-BA63-92DAAEEE9641@tpgi.com>
Hello all,

You can find the minutes at https://www.w3.org/2020/08/19-apa-minutes.html and repeated below for convenience.

Best regards,


Matthew

  - DRAFT -


  Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference


    19 Aug 2020


    Attendees

Present
    Matthew_Atkinson, paul_grenier, janina, MichaelC, becky, Irfan,
    Joshue, JPaton, NeilS, Joshue108
Regrets
    Amy, Gottfried, Nicolo, Christos
Chair
    Janina
Scribe
    Matthew_Atkinson


    Contents

  * Topics <#agenda>
     1. Agenda Review & Announcements <#item01>
     2. Virtual TPAC 2020 Planning <#item02>
     3. Task Force Updates <#item03>
     4. FAST Progress <#item04>
     5. New Charters Review
        https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

        <#item05>
     6. new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html <#item06>
     7. Actions Checkin (Specs)
        https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open <#item07>
     8. Issues Dashboard Review
        https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

        <#item08>
     9. Community Groups Tracking
        https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Community_Groups <#item09>
    10. Other Business <#item10>
    11. be done <#item11>
  * Summary of Action Items <#ActionSummary>
  * Summary of Resolutions <#ResolutionSummary>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

<scribe> scribe: Matthew_Atkinson


      Agenda Review & Announcements


      Virtual TPAC 2020 Planning

Janina: Agendas starting to come together. Wiki page is up.

<becky> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2020

<https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2020>


      Task Force Updates

Janina: RQTF has a document ready to be published. We have not granted
standing permissions to publish updated WDs. Need to create a new APA
policy position that any document that is not intended to become a
specification, once past FPWD, be publishable. Permission would still be
needed for FPWD and final draft.
... CfC on that will be published after this meeting - unless objections?

*no objections from the group*

Janina: Need browser buy-in for Pronounciation - thus need to create
more opportunities for feedback. Can we built a technical spec
containing both approaches that can be passed on to WICG etc.?

Irfan: Have discussed in the TF (and with WHATWG last year). Explainer
doc was based on attribute model, so have details on that. The newer
approach has some potential advantages though.

Janina: Sounds like the newer approach may have potential benefits
beyond accessibility (though both would work for our needs).

Irfan: is it suitable to put both approaches in the Explainer? Could
create prototypes based on both the attribute and SSML approaches.
... ...and could host them on the Wiki/similar.

Janina: Hoping we can decide between the two appraoches at TPAC. Need to
draft the technical approach for both.
... could publish as an editors' draft of the normative spec. Then reach
a decision as to which approach (and strip out the part not to be used,
then go to FPWD).

Irfan: *will add to TF agenda*

Neil: Would people read a full tech spec for TPAC? Could the explainer
be better?

Janina: Assumption was the technical spec will not be lengthy.

Irfan: It may be.

Paul: There's a significant part of the tech spec about how the browser
prepares the accessibility tree - we may not have the expertise to write
this at the moment.

Janina: *suggests asking Joanie*

Irfan: Around TPAC 2019 the Explainer was created and shared with
vendors. Creating a separate technical doc would take significant bandwidth.

Janina: Maybe we don't need the detailed accessibility tree section for
the current audience?

Neil: Suggest we highlihght the important open questions for which we
need input from specific groups. IIRC the Explainer doesn't mention
things we don't know/need to find out.

Irfan: If Joanie is able to join the Pronounciation TF next week that
would be helpful.

Janina: Welcome Paul, now the co-facilitator for Pronounciation.

*general support from the group :-)*

Janina: Personalization is getting closer to CR. Looking at messaging
currently. Maybe early September.

Becky: We have some open issues to be resolved too.
... e.g. internationalization


      FAST Progress


      New Charters Review
      https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

      <https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22>

Michael: WAI IG charter: https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/228

<https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/228>
... Seems there is some similarity with APA.

Janina: Though APA is internal; WAI IG is more external.
... Should this be clarified?

Becky: They do talk about outreach prominently (which is a different
remit to APA).

Janina: There is a ~"throughout W3C" in there, but not prominent. Could
be confusing in isolation, but does the wider context (as Becky
mentioned) provide sufficient clarity?

Neil: The overlap is a little confusing; clarfication as to
outward-/inward-looking would be helpful.

*general support from the group*


      new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

      <http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html>


      Actions Checkin (Specs)
      https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

      <https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open>

Becky: Been following the discussion about where focus should go when a
dialog closes.

<becky>
https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/5678#issuecomment-675229182

<https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/5678#issuecomment-675229182>

Becky: Propose that we start with going back to the item that opened it
as an initial step (could be endorsed by APA).

Paul: +1 but also that if the item is no longer there (e.g. it was
deleted) we could go to an adjacent item.

Becky: does the group support the suggestion above?

Janina: sounds like if the discussion is going in this direction anyway
we can +1 the comment.

Becky: *to draft a comment*

Janina: May as well run a CfC.

<janina> ~ack m

Me: Another option with a table record deletion might be to focus the
table. Should we discuss on-list? Also an opportunity to reiterate how
disorienting focus management can be.


      Issues Dashboard Review
      https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

      <https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review>

<MichaelC> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/5811

<https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/5811>

Michael: Need to decide if we are interested in this issue.

Janina: yes

<MichaelC> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/5812

<https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/5812>

Paul: Would this apply to things like iframes too? [Michael suggests
commenting on the issue to check]

*Group agrees we're interested in this*

<MichaelC> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/5813

<https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/5813>

*General support in the group for UAs facilitating navigation of
landmarks (and headings) via keyboard shortcuts*

*We are interested in tracking*

Janina: should we look at this in Personalization?

Becky: It's already possible to support this with an extension.
... (as you can already get the accessibility info from the browser/DOM)


      Community Groups Tracking
      https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Community_Groups

      <https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Community_Groups>

<becky> https://w3c.github.io/cg-monitor/

<https://w3c.github.io/cg-monitor/>

Neil: *has concerns as to how accurate it is [as a group leader] - how
does it get its data?*

Becky: *will investigate - it has promise*


      Other Business


      be done


    Summary of Action Items


    Summary of Resolutions

-- 
Matthew Tylee Atkinson
--
Senior Accessibility Engineer
The Paciello Group
https://www.paciellogroup.com

A Vispero Company
https://vispero.com

--
This message is intended to be confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message from your system and notify us immediately.
Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken or omitted to be taken by an unintended recipient in reliance on this message is prohibited and may be unlawful.

´╗┐On 18/08/2020, 14:05, "Janina Sajka" <janina@rednote.net> wrote:

    Zoom teleconference info is available at this non-public page:
    	https://www.w3.org/2017/08/telecon-info_apa


    Minutes from our last teleconference are available at:
    https://www.w3.org/2020/08/12-apa-minutes.html


    What:	APA Weekly Teleconference
    When:	Wednesday 19 August
    	12:00 PM        Boston -- U.S. Eastern  Time		(EST: UTC -4)
    	Corresponding times in other time zones are:
    	http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=APA+Teleconference&iso=20200805T12&p1=43&ah=1

    Where:	Zoom Teleconference Service
    	https://www.w3.org/2017/08/telecon-info_apa

    	IRC: irc.w3.org Channel: #apa
    	Additional logistics below

    ** Preliminary Agenda for APA WG Telecon Wednesday 19 August 2020

    Chair:	Janina
    agenda+ Agenda Review & Announcements
    Agenda+	Virtual TPAC 2020 Planning
    agenda+ Task Force Updates
    agenda+ FAST Progress
    agenda+ New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

    agenda+ new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

    agenda+ Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

    agenda+	Issues Dashboard Review https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

    agenda+ Community Groups Tracking https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Community_Groups

    agenda+ Other Business
    agenda+ be done

    Resource: APA & Task Force Teleconference Minutes
    APA Telecon:	https://www.w3.org/2020/08/12-apa-minutes.html

    RQTF:           http://www.w3.org/2020/08/12-rqtf-minutes.html

    COGA TF:	https://www.w3.org/2020/08/13-coga-minutes.html

    p13n:		https://www.w3.org/2020/08/17-personalization-minutes.html

    Pronunciation:	https://www.w3.org/2020/08/12-pronunciation-minutes.html


    Resource: FAST & Horizontal Reviews
    Framework:	http://w3c.github.io/apa/fast/

    Checklist:	http://w3c.github.io/apa/fast/checklist


    Resource: Pronunciation Task Force
    Email:	https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pronunciation/

    Wiki:	https://github.com/w3c/pronunciation/wiki

    Issues:	https://github.com/w3c/pronunciation/issues

    github:	https://github.com/w3c/pronunciation

    Home Page:	https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/pronunciation/

    Work Statement:	https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/pronunciation/work-statement


    Resource: Personalization Task Force:
    Overview:	https://github.com/w3c/personalization-semantics/wiki/TPAC2019-WebApps-Symbols-Overview

    Specification:	https://www.w3.org/TR/personalization-semantics-1.0/

    Email Archive: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-personalization-tf/

    Wiki:		https://github.com/w3c/personalization-semantics/wiki

    Issue Tracker:	https://github.com/w3c/personalization-semantics/issues

    Home Page:	https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/personalization/

    Work Statement: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/personalization/work-statement


    Resource: COGA Task Force
    Wiki:		http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/

    Email Archive:	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/

    Publication: https://raw.githack.com/w3c/coga/changes-after-0327/content-usable/index.html

    Home Page:	http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/

    Work Statement: http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/work-statement


    Resource: Research Questions Task Force (RQTF)
    Wiki: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/research-questions/wiki/Main_Page

    Email Archive:	https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rqtf/

    Home Page:	https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/research-questions/

    Work Statement: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/research-questions/work-statement


    Resource: CSS Accessibility Task Force
    Home Page:	https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/css-a11y/

    Work Statement: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/css-a11y/work-statement

    Issue Tracker:	https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues


    Resource: Key APA Pages For Reference
    Your personal tracker: http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/users/my

    APA Tracker (Issues and Actions): http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track

    Issues Dashboard: https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

    Spec Review History: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Category:Spec_Review

    CG Review Matrix: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Community_Groups

    Verticals Matrix: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Verticals_to_Track

    Home Page: http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/

    Charter: http://www.w3.org/2015/10/apa-charter.html

    Decision Policy: http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/decision-policy

    Member List:	https://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/83907/status

    W3C Process for Busy People:
    	https://github.com/w3c/wg-effectiveness/blob/master/process.md


    Resource: Webex & Teleconference Logistics
    Teleconference Data:	https://www.w3.org/2017/08/telecon-info_apa

    Zoom Best Practices:	https://www.w3.org/Guide/meetings/zoom.html


    *IRC Logistics
    IRC: server: irc.w3.org, channel: #APA

    IMPORTANT: Upon joining IRC, please identify yourself:
    present+ [your_name]
    Ex: present+ Janina_Sajka

    * Some helpful Scribing and Participation Tips
    http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/wiki/Teleconference_cheat_sheet


    For more on the IRC setup and the robots we use for agenda and speaker
    queuing and for posting the log to the web, see:

    - For RRSAgent, that captures and posts the log with special attention
      to action items:
    http://www.w3.org/2002/03/RRSAgent


    - For Zakim, the IRC interface to the bridge manager, that will maintain
      speaker and agenda queues:
    http://www.w3.org/2001/12/zakim-irc-bot


    - For a Web gateway to IRC you can use if your network administrators
      forbid IRC, see:
    http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc


    - For more on W3C use of IRC see:
    http://www.w3.org/Project/IRC/


    -- 

    Janina Sajka

    Linux Foundation Fellow
    Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:	http://a11y.org


    The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
    Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures	http://www.w3.org/wai/apa




Received on Wednesday, 19 August 2020 17:06:41 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 24 March 2022 20:23:07 UTC