Re: Agenda: APA WEEKLY Teleconference; Wednesday 19 August at 1600Z

Hello all,

You can find the minutes at and repeated below for convenience.

Best regards,


  - DRAFT -

  Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

    19 Aug 2020


    Matthew_Atkinson, paul_grenier, janina, MichaelC, becky, Irfan,
    Joshue, JPaton, NeilS, Joshue108
    Amy, Gottfried, Nicolo, Christos


  * Topics <#agenda>
     1. Agenda Review & Announcements <#item01>
     2. Virtual TPAC 2020 Planning <#item02>
     3. Task Force Updates <#item03>
     4. FAST Progress <#item04>
     5. New Charters Review

     6. new on TR <#item06>
     7. Actions Checkin (Specs) <#item07>
     8. Issues Dashboard Review

     9. Community Groups Tracking <#item09>
    10. Other Business <#item10>
    11. be done <#item11>
  * Summary of Action Items <#ActionSummary>
  * Summary of Resolutions <#ResolutionSummary>


<scribe> scribe: Matthew_Atkinson

      Agenda Review & Announcements

      Virtual TPAC 2020 Planning

Janina: Agendas starting to come together. Wiki page is up.



      Task Force Updates

Janina: RQTF has a document ready to be published. We have not granted
standing permissions to publish updated WDs. Need to create a new APA
policy position that any document that is not intended to become a
specification, once past FPWD, be publishable. Permission would still be
needed for FPWD and final draft.
... CfC on that will be published after this meeting - unless objections?

*no objections from the group*

Janina: Need browser buy-in for Pronounciation - thus need to create
more opportunities for feedback. Can we built a technical spec
containing both approaches that can be passed on to WICG etc.?

Irfan: Have discussed in the TF (and with WHATWG last year). Explainer
doc was based on attribute model, so have details on that. The newer
approach has some potential advantages though.

Janina: Sounds like the newer approach may have potential benefits
beyond accessibility (though both would work for our needs).

Irfan: is it suitable to put both approaches in the Explainer? Could
create prototypes based on both the attribute and SSML approaches.
... ...and could host them on the Wiki/similar.

Janina: Hoping we can decide between the two appraoches at TPAC. Need to
draft the technical approach for both.
... could publish as an editors' draft of the normative spec. Then reach
a decision as to which approach (and strip out the part not to be used,
then go to FPWD).

Irfan: *will add to TF agenda*

Neil: Would people read a full tech spec for TPAC? Could the explainer
be better?

Janina: Assumption was the technical spec will not be lengthy.

Irfan: It may be.

Paul: There's a significant part of the tech spec about how the browser
prepares the accessibility tree - we may not have the expertise to write
this at the moment.

Janina: *suggests asking Joanie*

Irfan: Around TPAC 2019 the Explainer was created and shared with
vendors. Creating a separate technical doc would take significant bandwidth.

Janina: Maybe we don't need the detailed accessibility tree section for
the current audience?

Neil: Suggest we highlihght the important open questions for which we
need input from specific groups. IIRC the Explainer doesn't mention
things we don't know/need to find out.

Irfan: If Joanie is able to join the Pronounciation TF next week that
would be helpful.

Janina: Welcome Paul, now the co-facilitator for Pronounciation.

*general support from the group :-)*

Janina: Personalization is getting closer to CR. Looking at messaging
currently. Maybe early September.

Becky: We have some open issues to be resolved too.
... e.g. internationalization

      FAST Progress

      New Charters Review


Michael: WAI IG charter:

... Seems there is some similarity with APA.

Janina: Though APA is internal; WAI IG is more external.
... Should this be clarified?

Becky: They do talk about outreach prominently (which is a different
remit to APA).

Janina: There is a ~"throughout W3C" in there, but not prominent. Could
be confusing in isolation, but does the wider context (as Becky
mentioned) provide sufficient clarity?

Neil: The overlap is a little confusing; clarfication as to
outward-/inward-looking would be helpful.

*general support from the group*

      new on TR


      Actions Checkin (Specs)


Becky: Been following the discussion about where focus should go when a
dialog closes.



Becky: Propose that we start with going back to the item that opened it
as an initial step (could be endorsed by APA).

Paul: +1 but also that if the item is no longer there (e.g. it was
deleted) we could go to an adjacent item.

Becky: does the group support the suggestion above?

Janina: sounds like if the discussion is going in this direction anyway
we can +1 the comment.

Becky: *to draft a comment*

Janina: May as well run a CfC.

<janina> ~ack m

Me: Another option with a table record deletion might be to focus the
table. Should we discuss on-list? Also an opportunity to reiterate how
disorienting focus management can be.

      Issues Dashboard Review




Michael: Need to decide if we are interested in this issue.

Janina: yes



Paul: Would this apply to things like iframes too? [Michael suggests
commenting on the issue to check]

*Group agrees we're interested in this*



*General support in the group for UAs facilitating navigation of
landmarks (and headings) via keyboard shortcuts*

*We are interested in tracking*

Janina: should we look at this in Personalization?

Becky: It's already possible to support this with an extension.
... (as you can already get the accessibility info from the browser/DOM)

      Community Groups Tracking




Neil: *has concerns as to how accurate it is [as a group leader] - how
does it get its data?*

Becky: *will investigate - it has promise*

      Other Business

      be done

    Summary of Action Items

    Summary of Resolutions

Matthew Tylee Atkinson
Senior Accessibility Engineer
The Paciello Group

A Vispero Company

This message is intended to be confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message from your system and notify us immediately.
Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken or omitted to be taken by an unintended recipient in reliance on this message is prohibited and may be unlawful.

´╗┐On 18/08/2020, 14:05, "Janina Sajka" <> wrote:

    Zoom teleconference info is available at this non-public page:

    Minutes from our last teleconference are available at:

    What: APA Weekly Teleconference
    When: Wednesday 19 August
     12:00 PM        Boston -- U.S. Eastern  Time  (EST: UTC -4)
     Corresponding times in other time zones are:

    Where: Zoom Teleconference Service

     IRC: Channel: #apa
     Additional logistics below

    ** Preliminary Agenda for APA WG Telecon Wednesday 19 August 2020

    Chair: Janina
    agenda+ Agenda Review & Announcements
    Agenda+ Virtual TPAC 2020 Planning
    agenda+ Task Force Updates
    agenda+ FAST Progress
    agenda+ New Charters Review

    agenda+ new on TR

    agenda+ Actions Checkin (Specs)

    agenda+ Issues Dashboard Review

    agenda+ Community Groups Tracking

    agenda+ Other Business
    agenda+ be done

    Resource: APA & Task Force Teleconference Minutes
    APA Telecon:


    COGA TF:



    Resource: FAST & Horizontal Reviews


    Resource: Pronunciation Task Force




    Home Page:

    Work Statement:

    Resource: Personalization Task Force:


    Email Archive:


    Issue Tracker:

    Home Page:

    Work Statement:

    Resource: COGA Task Force

    Email Archive:


    Home Page:

    Work Statement:

    Resource: Research Questions Task Force (RQTF)

    Email Archive:

    Home Page:

    Work Statement:

    Resource: CSS Accessibility Task Force
    Home Page:

    Work Statement:

    Issue Tracker:

    Resource: Key APA Pages For Reference
    Your personal tracker:

    APA Tracker (Issues and Actions):

    Issues Dashboard:

    Spec Review History:

    CG Review Matrix:

    Verticals Matrix:

    Home Page:
    Decision Policy:

    Member List:

    W3C Process for Busy People:

    Resource: Webex & Teleconference Logistics
    Teleconference Data:

    Zoom Best Practices:

    *IRC Logistics
    IRC: server:, channel: #APA

    IMPORTANT: Upon joining IRC, please identify yourself:
    present+ [your_name]
    Ex: present+ Janina_Sajka

    * Some helpful Scribing and Participation Tips

    For more on the IRC setup and the robots we use for agenda and speaker
    queuing and for posting the log to the web, see:

    - For RRSAgent, that captures and posts the log with special attention
      to action items:

    - For Zakim, the IRC interface to the bridge manager, that will maintain
      speaker and agenda queues:

    - For a Web gateway to IRC you can use if your network administrators
      forbid IRC, see:

    - For more on W3C use of IRC see:


    Janina Sajka

    Linux Foundation Fellow
    Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:

    The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
    Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures

Received on Wednesday, 19 August 2020 17:06:41 UTC