W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-apa@w3.org > September 2019

Minutes: APA WEEKLY Teleconference; Wednesday 11 September at 1600Z

From: Matthew Tylee Atkinson <matkinson@paciellogroup.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 18:07:43 +0100
Cc: "J. Alan Bird" <abird@w3.org>, Muhammad Ashkanani <mohd@w3.org.kw>
Message-Id: <F790BE1A-2436-42DE-893A-F2FDF0B838E0@paciellogroup.com>
To: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, W3C WAI Accessible Platform Architectures <public-apa@w3.org>
Hello all,

You can find the minutes hosted at https://www.w3.org/2019/09/11-apa-minutes.html and repeated below in text for convenience.

best regards,


Matthew

W3C <http://www.w3.org/>


  - DRAFT -


  Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference


    11 Sep 2019


    Attendees

Present
    janina, Joanmarie_Diggs, Matthew_Atkinson, MichaelC, interaccess,
    IanPouncey
Regrets
Chair
    janina
Scribe
    becka11y


    Contents

  * Topics <#agenda>
     1. Agenda Review & Announcements <#item01>
     2. Next & Future Meetings -- Remainder of September <#item02>
     3. TPAC 2019 https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2019
        <#item03>
     4. Workshop Updates <#item04>
     5. Task Force Updates <#item05>
     6. Horizontal reviews
        https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22
        <#item06>
     7. new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html <#item07>
     8. Actions Checkin (Specs)
        https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8 <#item08>
     9. Community Groups Tracking Review
        https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Community_Groups <#item09>
    10. Other Business <#item10>
  * Summary of Action Items <#ActionSummary>
  * Summary of Resolutions <#ResolutionSummary>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

<janina> agedna?


      Agenda Review & Announcements


      Next & Future Meetings -- Remainder of September

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: TPAC is next week, lots scheduled, with a
small amount of open time later on the Friday.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: no APA call in the week after TPAC; next will
be the 2nd of October.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: the agenda page for TPAC on the wiki provides
info for people joining remotely, and background material.


      TPAC 2019 https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2019


      Workshop Updates

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: is attending the workshop on data models for
transportation workshop.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: (is going to be providing accessibility
examples and advice)

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: Looking to develop schemas that consider
accessibility requirements.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: (one good example is providing the ability to
pay via the app, to negate currency issues. Other issues include
communicating users' accessibility needs to drivers in advance of a ride)

https://www.w3.org/auto/events/data-ws-2019/

<Matthew_Atkinson> Michael: It's a good thing to identify users' needs
in advance. Could there be a risk of discrinmation however?

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: Perhaps the needs could be communicated after
acceptance?


      Task Force Updates

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: TFs are represented in the TPAC agenda well,
and as much as possible.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: A meeting with COGA regarding the correct
identification of symbollic and sign languages (i.e. ISO codes) has been
recently added to the schedule.

<Zakim> joanie, you wanted to ask if we need to coordinate re CSS

<Matthew_Atkinson> Joanie: CSS discussion was mentioned, relevant to
this topic.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: (wanted to check if we're happy with the agenda
for the talk around CSS)

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: the order of the agenda for the hour isn't
yet fully decided; need to look into this.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: the meeting will be in the CSS room, so the
WebEx logistics will be those for that room.

<IanPouncey> https://github.com/w3c/css-aam/issues/3

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: Re creation of CSS AAM, Joanie has volunteered
to be a co-editor; need another, ideally from the CSS group.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: This is the biggest issue; expect to take up to
50% of the meeting (less if all are in agreement).

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: (asks about the time on deciding /what/ needs
to be mapped to the accessibility APIs.)

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: (suggests we focus on recruiting in this
discussion)

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: what expertise do we need in order to decide
on the row labels for the AAM table (i.e. what needs to be mapped)?

<Matthew_Atkinson> Joanie: Direction on that needed from CSS. We already
have some contacts that may be used to help populate the table, agrees
the main issue is the /what/ that needs to be mapped. May find differing
opinions on what the end-user experience needs to be. There already are
things that are exposed. E.g. if a screen-reader developer feels they
need some information exposed, they file an issue on the browser, and
this has happened, but is not stan[CUT]

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: (notes that one of the links from the above
issue is an issue in the CSS repo that presents a good example of a
driver for AAM - text transform)

<Matthew_Atkinson> Joanie: What goes in an AAM is how to expose X to
ATK, UIA, ... - however, in the case of text transforms, the text has
already been exposed as being all-caps, so this may not be a good
example of an accessibility-specific thing to map.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: May need to discuss further with CSS, this was
something that contributed to starting the discussion.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: (suggests a specific agendum for text
transforms, to continue this discussion; Joanie agrees)

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: Gap analysis of CSS speech

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: (suggests 5min for this, to summarise the gap
analysis; Ian agrees)

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: Mechanism for controlling animation. Is CSS the
right place to afford this? Details as to how could be a longer discussion.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: CSS provides many features for authors. Could
also provide features for users to control presentation - the example of
animation control being a good one.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: this started being thought of as a vision
issue; also is cognitive.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: another example is abilty to mute sounds.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: we need not put this in WCAG, as a regulatory
solution, seems that it should be possible to adopt a technological
solution. Other examples include controlling interlinear and inter-word
spacing (including punctuation).

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: (suggests 20min; Janina agrees)

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: Clarify effect of list styling on speech output.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: (suggested the issue; suggests it can be
dropped; allows more room for other topics; could revisit if time)

<Zakim> Joshue108_, you wanted to ask about co-ord with TAG at TPAC

<Matthew_Atkinson> Josh: (TAG presence being organised)


      Horizontal reviews
      https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22
      <https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22>


      new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<scribe> scribe: becka11y

Matthew: posted to the list a possible process for reviewing the HTML
spec updates;
... there is a substantial amount to review (so large git can’t preview)

Janina: this will be a problem for all groups that need to review

Matthew: if the proposed process looks good - I can take a stab at
implementing

<MichaelC> *ACTION:* atkinson to review HTML 2019-07

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2210 - Review html 2019-07 [on Matthew
Atkinson - due 2019-09-18].

<MichaelC> action-2210: https://html.spec.whatwg.org/review-drafts/2019-07/

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2210 Review html 2019-07.

Janina: I will talk about the issue of how to review HTML spec at TPAC
since it affects many groups and needs input from other W3C groups
... I will help review

<MichaelC> action-2210: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/HTML_2019-07

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2210 Review html 2019-07.

<MichaelC> action-2210 due 31 Oct

<trackbot> Set action-2210 Review html 2019-07 due date to 2019-10-31.

<MichaelC> *ACTION:* janina to review HTML 2019-07

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2211 - Review html 2019-07 [on Janina Sajka -
due 2019-09-18].

<MichaelC> action-2211: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/HTML_2019-07

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2211 Review html 2019-07.

<MichaelC> action-2211: https://html.spec.whatwg.org/review-drafts/2019-07/

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2211 Review html 2019-07.

<MichaelC> action-2211 due 31 Oct

<trackbot> Set action-2211 Review html 2019-07 due date to 2019-10-31.

Michael: 3 pronounciation docs - we already approved ;-)

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/TR/FileAPI/ File API

<MichaelC> *ACTION:* janina to draft accessibility impact statement for
File API

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2212 - Draft accessibility impact statement
for file api [on Janina Sajka - due 2019-09-18].

<Matthew_Atkinson> Joanie: Janina: Michael: (the spec only covers non-UI
issues; however impact statement may be of help)

<MichaelC> Self-Review Questionnaire: Security and Privacy
<https://www.w3.org/TR/security-privacy-questionnaire/>

<Matthew_Atkinson> Michael: There may be privacy/fingerprinting issues,
so perhaps should review (group agrees to leave open for now)

<MichaelC> Verifiable Credentials Data Model 1.0
<https://www.w3.org/TR/verifiable-claims-data-model/>

<Matthew_Atkinson> (group agrees to leave the above open, as well as Web
of Things)


      Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8


      Community Groups Tracking Review
      https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Community_Groups


      Other Business


    Summary of Action Items

*[NEW]* *ACTION:* atkinson to review HTML 2019-07
*[NEW]* *ACTION:* janina to draft accessibility impact statement for
File API
*[NEW]* *ACTION:* janina to review HTML 2019-07
 


    Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's
scribe.perl
<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm> version
1.154 (CVS log <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/>)
$Date: 2019/09/11 17:01:17 $

-- 
Matthew Tylee Atkinson
--
Senior Accessibility Engineer
The Paciello Group
https://www.paciellogroup.com
A Vispero Company
https://www.vispero.com/
--
This message is intended to be confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message from your system and notify us immediately.
Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken or omitted to be taken by an unintended recipient in reliance on this message is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Received on Wednesday, 11 September 2019 17:08:08 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 18:55:35 UTC