Re: Updates to CAPTCHA doc - impacts CfC to publish

Michael, All:

Thanks for the document prep. It's helpful to see this candidate FPWD
all put together.

I think we will need to discuss this on the APA call Wednesday. While
our CfC clearly advised people to expect editorial work on the document,
I'm not clear in my own mind whether we can continue to publication
under the current CfC. We'll need to discuss that.

I personally don't have a problem with most of your changes, but I would
argue for a different tack on some. Two examples:

1.)	Value judgements and the term "pernicious" in the abstract

You and I appear to have a completely different understanding of the two
sentences in the Abstract where the word "pernicious" appears.

You're suggesting it presumes background knowledge. As the author of
those two sentences, drastically revised from the 2005 Note, I can
confidently say the intent was to establish context, i.e. why are we
talking about CAPTCHA in the first place?

I can readily agree that the Abstract may not be the proper locus, and
the word "pernicious" might not be the best descriptor. However I'm
confident none of us would replace "pernicious" with "benevolent." The
idea is to say that bad automated actors pervade the web with malicious
intent. For that reason CAPTCHA exists, and it's particularly
challenging to people with disabilities.

As things stand, were we to proceed with this edit, my first post
publication action would be to put something like those sentences back
in and hold a discussion about them. They've been there for awhile and
this is the first complaint about them.

2.)	Technical terms still lacking definitions

You've removed these. But, again, my first editorial work post
publication would include returning them because I believe we will find
appropriate definitions, and because they serve a useful purpose in the
document. Now, we need to remember to again mark them for definition.

I'm wondering whether we're trying too hard to make the FPWD the final?

So, grist for our two calls Wednesday, both RQTF and APA.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka

Linux Foundation Fellow