Minutes from 24 January

Minutes from the APA teleconference of 24 January are provided below as text.
They're also available as hypertext at:

http://www.w3.org/2018/01/24-apa-minutes.html

Thanks to Becky for scribing!

   W3C

                                                                                   - DRAFT -

                                                        Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

24 Jan 2018

Attendees

   Present
          janina, Joanmarie_Diggs, JF

   Regrets

   Chair
          janina

   Scribe
          Becka11y

Contents

     * Topics
         1. preview agenda with items from two minutes
         2. CSS A11y TF
         3. Upcoming COGA CfC--Standing permission to publish Gaps WDs
         4. New in HTML 5.3 -- Leonie
         5. Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8
         6. new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html
     * Summary of Action Items
     * Summary of Resolutions
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

   <janina> aagenda+ preview agenda with items from two minutes

preview agenda with items from two minutes

   news from Janina: Mozilla wants to start developing IAccessible2 and we got them a github repo - linuxa11yIaccessible2

CSS A11y TF

   ian css updates - needs group opinion on 2 items

   ian: web animations and CSS transforms specs - both look fine wrt accessibility
   ... but need to express that animations shouldn‚€™t be used for instructions/required information - is this covered by time based media in WCAG

   janina: APA did previous make comments on animation spec - need to follow up
   ... believe it is essential that use has ability to kill animations if access to content is impeded

   ian: believes this is covered by WCAG

   janina: are we okay with this being implicit or should we ask for an accessibility impact description with link to WCAG?

   michael: concerned that WCAG doesn‚€™t cover the issues because tech. needs the ability to stop - not sure the tech (CSS) provides that feature

   ian: it is scriptable so can be stopped via that mechanism

   michael: is it good enough for the author to provide the script to stop or should there be a user agent mechanism to stop

   Janina: one use case is to animate steps in a process. Seems like a good case for A11y impact statement from APA

   michael: verify if this is covered by media query (stop animations)

   ian: can check the media query before start the animations

   michael: believes wrap CSS inside of media queries

   janina: is there enough in the technology to allow changing to a step by step process
   ... stepping through an animation in a ‚€œhow to‚€ could be powerful for everyone - would like the technology to support this

   ian: this is possible via scripting (but not built in)

   Janina: do we want the api to explicitly support stepping through? Seems worth discussing

   Michael: also need a global stop command - spec should specify that user agents need to provide such a command

   ian: but WCAG doesn‚€™t require this?

   Michael: WCAG is for authors but an API needs to have all options
   ... technologies should provide the needed features for APIs

   <Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to ask how I should update our tracking for these specs

   ian: this is inconsistent becaues would only apply to web animations created via CSS

   Michael: agree but it is a start; user agents may not be handle scripting cases
   ... we want to eliminate a11y barriers within the specification - even if inconsistent with some of WCAG requirements

   ian: has simple email drafted:
   ... reads email (will paste into minutes)

   <IanPouncey> "The CSS Accessibility Task Force is a group endeavour between the CSS Working Group and the Accessible Platform Architectures (APA) Working Group to
   review and advise on the accessibility concerns and requirements for CSS specifications.

   <IanPouncey> We currently have a large backlog of specifications that require review, so we are looking for people to join the task force."

   Janina: has some tweaks - in addition to backlog of specs we have other problems we want to entice people to work on

   Michael: what about CSS transforms?

   ian: same issue as web animations

   Michael: ian also made comments on scroll snap and grid layout

   ian: doesn‚€™t believe we need indepth review of scroll snap

   Michael: updating actions

   ian: grid layout does have an a11y note that adequately covers the issues

   Michael: will mark these actions as complete (scroll snap, grid layout)

Upcoming COGA CfC--Standing permission to publish Gaps WDs

   Janina: expecting communications from COGA
   ... we asked for timeline and objectives plan so expect an email for this timeline and details to reach note status

   tink: is there a roadmap for the personalization spec?

   Michael: not a roadmap but working on it

   Janina: personalization is an ARIA task force
   ... want to skip actions and new pubs to jump to DOM

New in HTML 5.3 -- Leonie

   Janina: not really HTML 5.3 item - DOM is a separate spec, but shadow DOM is being folded into DOM spec
   ... understand thatmoving forward on custom elements is not in the 5.3 timeline?

   tink: yes that is correct - email reply didn‚€™t get to the list, yet
   ... shadow DOM being folded into 4 or 4.1 spec
   ... suggested that custom elements also be folded in but can‚€™t find a person to devote time into it
   ... need to be in CR in May

   Janina: anything else for HTML 5.3

   tink: plan to be in CR by May 24; sending out for wide review by end of March

   Janina: expecting any a11y issues?

   tink: not so far mostly editorial

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

   Michael: actions on ian - CSS animations - update due date by 2 weeks

   <MichaelC> action-2158 due 2 weeks

   <trackbot> Set action-2158 Manage review of css animations https://www.w3.org/tr/css-animations-1/ in context of previous pf activity from 5 years ago due date to
   2018-02-07.

   <MichaelC> action-2159 due 2 weeks

   <trackbot> Set action-2159 Manage review of css transforms https://www.w3.org/tr/css-transforms-1/ note pf feedback from 2009 due date to 2018-02-07.

   <MichaelC> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2018Jan/0009.html

   Michael: action on John wrt VTT

   JF: there are technical restraints (caption text enlargment but restrained by bounding box) - group was working on assumption that zooming media would include video
   and caption
   ... no simple answer because VTT does allow using CSS to enlage the text but can be clipping issues in a smal bounding box
   ... push back on group that when dealing with APIs we need more than the code - need explanatory doc as well

   Janina: CFC closed yesterday on TTML comments; Godfried created some comments for TTML
   ... will find the TTML comments and forward to John F in order to compare to VTT

   <MichaelC> TTML comment CfC: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2018Jan/0000.html

   JF: will review after the call

   <MichaelC> action-2162: make sure comments jive with https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2018Jan/0000.html

   <trackbot> Notes added to action-2162 Prepare response to webvtt request for feedback on 2015 comments.

   Michael: will send a message that we are in the process of compiling VTT comments
   ... action on Joanie for file api - still in progress

   <MichaelC> action-2145 due 6 months

   <trackbot> Set action-2145 Ping review on long tasks api 1 due date to 2018-07-24.

   <MichaelC> action-2134 due 6 months

   <trackbot> Set action-2134 Ping review of css overflow module level 4 due date to 2018-07-24.

   michael: action on Michael to ping review of CSS overflow module 4 (still in 1st public WD - will advance due date)
   ... action 2131 on Michael about content security policies - will leave that to stale
   ... action on Ted on DOM - relates to previous discussion
   ... publications: HTML 5.3 - we got update from Leonie

   <Zakim> JF, you wanted to ask about ACTION 2162

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

   <MichaelC> HTML 5.3

   Janina: aks is there a diff out on HTML 5.3, yet?

   <tink> We expect to send HTML5.3 out for wide review by the end of March, so suggest that's ok for APA.

   <MichaelC> IndieAuth

   rssAgent, make log public

   rssAgent, draft Minutes

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


-- 

Janina Sajka

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:	http://a11y.org

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures	http://www.w3.org/wai/apa

Received on Thursday, 25 January 2018 20:15:25 UTC