Draft minutes of APA call on 2018-02-21

HTML format: https://www.w3.org/2018/02/21-apa-minutes.html
Text format: see below.

Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: Janina to ask Web Assembly WG about Web Assembly core, what
are use cases, does it impact UI and need a11y advice about using a11y API
[NEW] ACTION: janina to review Credential Management Level 1

Best regards,


 Prof. Dr. Gottfried Zimmermann
Mobile User Interaction


      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

     Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

21 Feb 2018


          janina, JF, MichaelC, Joanmarie_Diggs, IanPouncey,
          gottfried, Becka11y





     * [2]Topics
         1. [3]preview agenda with items from two minutes
         2. [4]APA github now protected branch
         3. [5]CSS Update
         4. [6]APA github now protected branch
         5. [7]Meeting with TTML Preview
         6. [8]Actions Checkin (Specs)
         7. [9]Meeting with TTML Preview
         8. [10]new on TR
         9. [11]Shall we publish the A11y Self-Survey?
     * [12]Summary of Action Items
     * [13]Summary of Resolutions

   <scribe> scribe: gottfried

preview agenda with items from two minutes

   Ian: Have to leave in 25 mins

   Gottfried: Sabbatical from Mar-Aug 2018 in Atlanta

APA github now protected branch

CSS Update

   Ian: Proposed email on the CSS a11y test force.

   <IanPouncey> "The CSS Accessibility Task Force is a group
   endeavour between the CSS Working Group, ARIA Working Group,
   and the Accessible Platform Architectures (APA) Working Group
   to review and advise on the accessibility concerns and
   requirements for CSS specifications.

   <IanPouncey> We currently have a large backlog of
   specifications that require review, so we are looking for
   people to join the task force. If you are interested in
   participating in the CSS A11Y TF, please send an e-mail
   to mailto:w3c@ipouncey.co.uk and include a little bit about
   what you’re interested in and how you think that you may be
   able to contribute to the Task Force."

   John: Where are you sending this email to? E.g. public lists?

   Ian: Webaim is a good idea.

   Janina: Need to be clear that W3C is hosting. WAI-IG.

   John: General call should go wide - more likely to get
   ... Twitter - people can retweet

   Ian: Yes. I'll send the email to W3C. And make it clear that
   this belongs to W3C, and send out to external mailing lists as

   Michael: Can somebody pass me a proposed tweet, with hashtags?

   Ian: I will do.

   John: Do we allow non-W3C members to participate?

   Michael: People can always submit pull requests. That's the
   main mechanism right now.
   ... CSS task force should allow for non-W3C members. Need to

   Ian: Non-members can comment.

   Janina: Don't like to think about changing to community group.

   Ian: Last call for global correspondence for animations in CSS.
   Nobody objected. I will send the email.

APA github now protected branch

   Janina: we are not on a protected branch - need owner
   ... We have some docs that we are actively working on now.

   Michael: Protected means that in the APA repo changes need to
   be approved before publication.
   ... Multiple members can make parallel edits, and then send
   pull requests.
   ... We use this model in WCAG.
   ... Give me your Github user name and i will set you up.

   Becky: We can still create a fork into our local repo, right?

   Michael: Better do not fork because if they fall out of date,
   it is hard to sync up.
   ... Other people cannot see what you are doing.
   ... Only external people have to use forks.

   Becky: So better to branch.

   Janina: MAUR will come up, and other docs - talking shortly.

Meeting with TTML Preview

   Janina: Next week joint meeting with TTML.
   ... Agenda next week.
   ... Goal: Find an accommodation that we all can live with.

   John: It is possible that i won't be able to join the meeting.

   Janina: Let me know as early as possible if you will be able to

   John: I will try hard.
   ... The main issue: Caption text can be formatted by the user.
   ... This may block parts of the video. This may become an
   "inaccessible user experience" as somebody has put it.
   ... We have examples of making captions really big.
   ... I'd like to see some language that reassures content
   creators that users don't get frustrated when bumping up the
   captions if they need it.

   Janina: Why say anything if the spec does not prohibit this?

   John: Some of the caption people cannot imaging the advanced
   a11y use cases.
   ... Guidance in the docs should be just educational.

   q ack

   Gottfried: I won't be able to attend next week.
   ... There was some language in TTML that assumed that the
   caption creator "sets the format in stone". We need to adjust
   this language.

   Janina: Reschedule the call?

   John: I will try everything to be able to attend.

   Janina: They need to understand that the user needs to be able
   to change font according to their needs.

   John: Agree.

Actions Checkin (Specs)

     [14] https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

   <JF> "Author proposes, User disposes"

   Michael: Shall i close the WebVTT actions?

   <Becka11y> have to step out for a minute - brb

   John: I still have some dangling responses - keep those
   assigned to me
   ... Meeting with WebVTT people scheduled for next week.


   <trackbot> action-2162 -- John Foliot to Prepare response to
   webvtt request for feedback on 2015 comments -- due 2018-01-10

   <trackbot> [15]http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2162

     [15] http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2162


   <trackbot> action-2167 -- John Foliot to Follow up with webvtt
   comments due fewb 6 -- due 2018-02-07 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [16]http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2167

     [16] http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2167


   <trackbot> action-2158 -- Ian Pouncey to Manage review of css
   animations [17]https://www.w3.org/tr/css-animations-1/ in
   context of previous pf activity from 5 years ago -- due
   2018-02-07 -- OPEN

     [17] https://www.w3.org/tr/css-animations-1/

   <trackbot> [18]http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2158

     [18] http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2158



   <trackbot> action-2159 -- Ian Pouncey to Manage review of css
   transforms [19]https://www.w3.org/tr/css-transforms-1/ note pf
   feedback from 2009 -- due 2018-02-07 -- OPEN

     [19] https://www.w3.org/tr/css-transforms-1/

   <trackbot> [20]http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2159

     [20] http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2159


   <trackbot> action-2163 -- Ian Pouncey to Manage review of css
   basic user interface module level 4 -- due 2018-01-10 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [21]http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2163

     [21] http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2163


   <trackbot> action-2153 -- John Foliot to Review and draft a
   warning note for orienation api spec, for apa review -- due
   2018-02-07 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [22]http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2153

     [22] http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2153

   John: Please extend

   Michael: It is probably for screen orientation api
   ... Let's leave it open for now.

   <MichaelC> action-2153: assuming

     [23] https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/The_Screen_Orientation_API

   <trackbot> Notes added to action-2153 Review and draft a
   warning note for orienation api spec, for apa review.


   <trackbot> action-2123 -- Ted Drake to Triage changelog of dom
   [24]https://www.w3.org/tr/dom41/#historical-changes-fpwd-dom4 -
   note stuff on mutation -- due 2018-01-24 -- OPEN

     [24] https://www.w3.org/tr/dom41/#historical-changes-fpwd-dom4

   <trackbot> [25]http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2123

     [25] http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2123

   Becky: I am supposed to look at shadow DOM


   <trackbot> action-2052 -- Becky Gibson to Review
   [26]https://www.w3.org/tr/shadow-dom/ shadow dom -- due
   2018-02-07 -- OPEN

     [26] https://www.w3.org/tr/shadow-dom/

   <trackbot> [27]http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2052

     [27] http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2052

   Janina: Shane looked at DOM in the past. With shadow DOM we
   need to be more careful since it is more AT oriented

   Michael: Leave it open for now?

   Janina: yes


   <trackbot> action-2038 -- Michael Cooper to Raise
   [[28]https://www.w3.org/tr/credential-management-1/ credential
   management level 1] for re-review -- due 2018-02-18 -- OPEN

     [28] https://www.w3.org/tr/credential-management-1/

   <trackbot> [29]http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2038

     [29] http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2038

   Michael: Has been republished once.
   ... There is content in it now
   ... Fred took a look, made some notes.
   ... Pass on to coga. Moved to me when Fred left.
   ... We probably should review it now.
   ... Fred thought that somebody from payments tf should be

   Janina: Sounds like me.

   <MichaelC> ACTION: janina to review Credential Management Level

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2168 - Review credential management
   level 1 [on Janina Sajka - due 2018-02-28].

   <MichaelC> action-2168:

     [30] https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Credential_Management_Level_1

   <trackbot> Notes added to action-2168 Review credential
   management level 1.

   <MichaelC> action-2168:

     [31] https://www.w3.org/TR/credential-management-1/

   <trackbot> Notes added to action-2168 Review credential
   management level 1.

   <MichaelC> close action-2038

   <trackbot> Closed action-2038.

   Michael: Old stuff following.

   Janina: First clean up new charter.


Meeting with TTML Preview

new on TR [32]http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

     [32] http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

   Michael: There are 3 web assembly specs
   ... Like assembly language for the web.
   ... Algorithmic specs - i cannot read them.
   ... We don't need to review, i think

   John: It is backend stuff.

   Michael: I did a quick scan. No feature that would make it
   impossible to do alt text.

   Janina: If they were ui-related, they would need to be more
   specific about platform.

   Michael: If you were using this tech, you would have to do all
   a11y support from scratch.
   ... But it should be possible.
   ... Maybe we need to request an a11y statement.

   Janina: Maybe i should send them a note, asking for
   clarification of use cases.

   Michael: Maybe we should have a review of web assembly core


     [33] https://www.w3.org/TR/wasm-core-1/

   Janina: Give me an action for Mar 14
   ... Suggest them to use our self-assessment tool.
   ... Maybe we need an accessibility impact statement

   <MichaelC> ACTION: Janina to ask Web Assembly WG about Web
   Assembly core, what are use cases, does it impact UI and need
   a11y advice about using a11y API

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2169 - Ask web assembly wg about web
   assembly core, what are use cases, does it impact ui and need
   a11y advice about using a11y api [on Janina Sajka - due

   <MichaelC> action-2169: [34]https://www.w3.org/TR/wasm-core-1/

     [34] https://www.w3.org/TR/wasm-core-1/

   <trackbot> Notes added to action-2169 Ask web assembly wg about
   web assembly core, what are use cases, does it impact ui and
   need a11y advice about using a11y api.

   <MichaelC> action-2169:

     [35] https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/WebAssembly_Core_Specification

   <trackbot> Notes added to action-2169 Ask web assembly wg about
   web assembly core, what are use cases, does it impact ui and
   need a11y advice about using a11y api.

   Michael: The other new TRs:

   <MichaelC> [36]Custom Elements

     [36] https://www.w3.org/TR/custom-elements/

   Janina: We should wait until Leonie is here.

   Michael: It says: Warning - no longer being updated as a
   stand-alone specification (as of Aug 2016)

   Janina: Seems they have been sloppy in their status.
   ... Charles said something about custom elements being folded
   into main HTML.
   ... We don't care about the status note.

   Michael: We have a note - probably scary for a11y. Janina was
   asked to follow up.
   ... The action is old.

   <MichaelC> action-2075 due 1 week

   <trackbot> Set action-2075 Check with léonie and steve on
   custom elements [37]https://www.w3.org/tr/custom-elements/ due
   date to 2018-02-28.

     [37] https://www.w3.org/tr/custom-elements/

   <MichaelC> action-2075: also relationship to web components?

   <trackbot> Notes added to action-2075 Check with léonie and
   steve on custom elements

     [38] https://www.w3.org/tr/custom-elements/.

   Michael: Custom elements vs. web components

   John: Charles wrote a note about custom elements moving into
   the main html spec.

   Janina: We may need to ask Charles to join.
   ... But he is in a bad time zone.

   Michael: We don't have web components in our wiki.

Shall we publish the A11y Self-Survey?

   Janina: This came up in the WAI-CC call driven by Judy.

   <MichaelC> [39]Framework for Accessibility in the Specification
   of Technologies (FAST)

     [39] http://w3c.github.io/apa/fast/

   <MichaelC> [40]FAST checklist

     [40] http://w3c.github.io/apa/fast/checklist

   Janina: Survey should have a higher priority than writing a
   ... APA should look into this. Moving to a 1.0 publication.
   ... How do people feel about that?

   Michael: I propose to publish Web Technology Accessibility
   Guidelines into TR.
   ... Section 3 on meeting user needs.
   ... I filled out section 4 on making best use of time.
   ... The second doc is the checklist.
   ... Contains references to relevant specs.
   ... In theory, people could use this in reviewing conformance
   to the guidelines.
   ... I don't think this should become a TR.

     [41] http://w3c.github.io/apa/fast/checklist

   John: Why not checklist as TR?

   Michael: Hard to update and format in a useful way.
   ... Same as quickref for WCAG 2.0

   John: Your table 4.3 Meeting user needs. Hard to read.

   Gottfried: ISO/IEC DIS 29138-1 User Needs Summary, probably
   going to be published this year.

   Michael: There are references, but this is missing. I'll be
   happy to add it.

   Gottfried: ISO standard has useful taxonomy. Origin is Gregg's
   work on user needs in the 90s.

   Michael: I was going to develop a taxonomy, but will look at
   the ISO standard.

   Janina: Looks like we agree on the procedure.
   ... Discuss further steps next week on WAI-CC?

   Michael: Yes, discuss in WAI-CC.

   Janina: Okay, then bring it back here.

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Janina to ask Web Assembly WG about Web Assembly
   core, what are use cases, does it impact UI and need a11y
   advice about using a11y API
   [NEW] ACTION: janina to review Credential Management Level 1

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]

    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [42]scribe.perl version
    1.152 ([43]CVS log)
    $Date: 2018/02/21 18:02:05 $

     [42] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [43] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

   [Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15
Check for newer version at [44]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/

     [44] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/to/on/
Succeeded: s/2/3/
Default Present: janina, JF, MichaelC, Joanmarie_Diggs, IanPouncey, gott
fried, Becka11y
Present: janina JF MichaelC Joanmarie_Diggs IanPouncey gottfried Becka11
Found Scribe: gottfried
Inferring ScribeNick: gottfried
Found Date: 21 Feb 2018
People with action items: janina

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain
a link to the original IRC log.)

   [End of [45]scribe.perl diagnostic output]

     [45] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

Received on Wednesday, 21 February 2018 18:09:24 UTC