W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-apa@w3.org > February 2018

APA WG Minutes from 07 Feb 2018

From: Becky Gibson <becky@knowbility.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 15:23:45 -0500
Message-Id: <F38160DD-4210-4147-B530-345B9C72EEC6@knowbility.org>
To: W3C WAI Accessible Platform Architectures <public-apa@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2018/02/07-apa-minutes.html <https://www.w3.org/2018/02/07-apa-minutes.html>

Text only below:

Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

07 Feb 2018

Attendees <>
Present
janina, Léonie, JF, Joanmarie_Diggs, Becky, Gibson, Becky_Gibson, IanPouncey
Regrets
Chair
janina
Scribe
Becky_Gibson
Contents

Topics <https://www.w3.org/2018/02/07-apa-minutes.html#agenda>
preview agenda with items from two minutes <https://www.w3.org/2018/02/07-apa-minutes.html#item01>
Community Group Tracking <https://www.w3.org/2018/02/07-apa-minutes.html#item02>
W3C Verticals https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Verticals_to_Track <https://www.w3.org/2018/02/07-apa-minutes.html#item03>
Summary of Action Items <https://www.w3.org/2018/02/07-apa-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
Summary of Resolutions <https://www.w3.org/2018/02/07-apa-minutes.html#ResolutionSummary>
<janina> scribe: Becky_Gibson
preview agenda with items from two minutes

Judy Brewer will be joining to discuss recharter
Janina: group looking into tracking some additional tech stacks, are a bit behind reviewing some other W3C initiatives
Community Group Tracking

Janina: are overdue for community group tracking
<gottfried> https://www.w3.org/community/groups/ <https://www.w3.org/community/groups/>
Janina: it is difficult to tell what group’s are active and which are not
Judy: horizontal reviews by APA are really important for W3C work and mission
... need to review Community groups with some regularity - does APA have a system for this?
<janina> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/wiki/Spec_Review/Community_Groups <https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/wiki/Spec_Review/Community_Groups>
Janina: this is APA tracking page
Judy: horizontal reviews needs to be ongoing, community groups are less frequent
JF: last review and filter, we didn’t see much activity and agreed to review again in 6-8 months
Janina: is time to review again but many groups are not active, publishing group has good accessibility coverage
... TR page is how we track groups/items for review
... didn’t intend to walk through Community groups today, just wanted to consider any process refinements
JF: activity in groups was sporadic and hard to track, is there a mechanism we can put in place for groups to reach out to us?
... we have limited numbers and need people to come to us
Judy: APA doesn’t have strong obligation to do horizontal reviews of groups but it has proven helpful. Accessibility review obligation is at the req. track work level, group review has been helpful
... some info all groups get when they are starting up -
... accessibility considerations for spec development - needs to be more discoverable
... can work to get guidance to forming groups
<Judy> [jb: and needs to be promoted through community group council.
JF: how much of this is covered by EO ?
<janina> The checklist is at: http://w3c.github.io/pfwg/wtag/checklist.html <http://w3c.github.io/pfwg/wtag/checklist.html>
Judy: getting accessibility spec as part of consensus for groups; provide additional guidance
JF: we need to educate new groups about W3C and process, including a11y process
Judy: EO is generally exposed to external audiences
Janina: community groups need to know that they will exposed to horizontal review (security i18n, a11y)
Judy: will work with Michael and Janina on resources
W3C Verticals https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Verticals_to_Track <https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Verticals_to_Track>
Janina: have a wiki page that names verticals and associated APA member names but haven’t gotten much further
Judy: more interested in being part of a discussion about the verticals we are interested in
... W3C vertical def. has changed over the last few years, examples; publishing, automotive, gaming - some come and go and get renamed; example VR/AR
... curious who is following different areas and how are or to be plugged in
tink: has been talking with Samsung in the VR space and folks are proposing a meeting to bring people together with a11y in mind
Judy: Charles LaPierre recently participated in workshop for a11y perspective and was well received
... supports workshop for VR and a11y and can help bring more people in to widen involvement
... maybe APA can help connect the dots to identify people to anchor an area and help to prep them to represent a11y
... curious about other members on the call who can be anchors in other areas and support people is those areas
JF: is looking at media, Chris O’
... Chris O’
Brian is monitoring TV space
<janina> ~q?
Janina: recent conversations with VTT and TTML groups and planning joint meeting with TTML to iron out issues
Judy: want to be realistic about difficulty in addressing a11y of verticals - not necessarily enough experts, we/W3C need to grow them
Gottfried: is part of community group for accessible online learning, would be good to gain one of the chairs to become part of APA
Judy: that group grew out of some advisory group meetings a few years ago; that group didn’t quite rise to standards level so has stayed as group, connecting with APA could help bring that along to a standards group
... need education standards groups to become involved - haven’t gotten support from yet
Gottfried: seems there is still interest
<Zakim> Judy, you wanted to comment on e-learning
Judy: connecting to a WG like APA can help group along or at least help with mentoring, although recognizes that APA has plenty on its plate
Janina: references automotive - perhaps start with pieces of puzzles rather than entire autonomous vehicle.
... recommended sticking with HTML5 standards and encouraged auto group to review existing widgets
Judy: auto group was useful in helping us understand how we (W3C and APA) can help them with accessibility
... having written guidance and direct brainstorming with group is good tactic;
<tink> We have someone on the WoT WG.
<tink> He has presented a short talk on a11y to te WG, and is now working on a set o a11y use cases.
<tink> He'll be attending the workshop next month in Prague.
Janina: yes we have met with Web of Things WG
<tink> He + Graeme Coleman.
Judy: since TPAC only once per year, we should strive for quarterly checkins with small list of verticals
Janina: agree quarterly is good
JF: agree with idea but we need more manpower/help
Judy: resourcing question is huge across the whole field, wonders if it is possible to get more creative thinking to get more interested folks and grow them
... suggests that we need a reusable resource to introduce a11y to groups and move them along
... thanks for including me in the discussions on verticals and community groups
<Judy> [jb: bye everyone, thanks for the discussion (and the ongoing accessibility horizontal reviews!) ]
JF: probably meeting with
... TTML group on Feb 28; have an action item to review their guidance, will report back next week
... sent an email about declaritive shadow DOM proposal, we should be monitoring that discussion
Janina: there is also a new DOM spec that is pulling in shadow DOM. Becky has action to look at
JF: there is a proposal to include declaritive shadow DOM into HTML so JavaScript is not required
Yes, I looked into this briefly
Janina: perhaps a joint meeting? that has proven useful on other topics
JF: seems there is a choice between whether we want to go broad or deep wrt the previous conversation on community groups
... it still seems much of the outreach and checklists and documents falls on EO
... we should continue our deep investigations and partiipation - for example recent TTML and VTT conversations
Janina: would be useful to pull EO into helping to increaskng a11y knowledge
rssAgent, make log public
Summary of Action Items <>
Summary of Resolutions <>[End of minutes]
Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm> version 1.152 (CVS log <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/>)
$Date: 2018/02/07 18:01:38 $
Received on Wednesday, 7 February 2018 20:24:43 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 February 2018 20:24:43 UTC