Re: HTML Alt Again

On 19/09/2017 20:25, Janina Sajka wrote:
> We never solved the alt issue, and it remains problematic, imo. Anyone
> disagree?
> We have w3c.org guidance that proposes alt= text I would argue is far
> too extensive for a proper alt.
>
> See the following for an example:
> https://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/Elements/img#A_key_part_of_the_content

That wiki page was last modified in 2011 and it's out of date. It
predates even the work done on alts by the HTML A11y TF in 2013/2014.

It, and other wiki pages like it, are a legacy from Hixie's time as
editor of HTML at W3C. They should be curated and either removed or deleted.

The canonical guidance is now in the HTML specification itself:
https://www.w3.org/TR/html52/semantics-embedded-content.html#alt-text

If there are points of concern with this content, please file issues here:
https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/

Thanks
Léonie.--
@LeonieWatson @tink@toot.cafe tink.uk carpe diem