Re: Updated draft charter for SVG work

Hi AC and APA,

I've been working to close the loop on the SVG charter, and though I
haven't been able to get all the feedback I was seeking, I hear that
identified editors have volunteered to do the AAM work within SVG,
rather than joint or in ARIA. With that, I plan to launch the charter's
AC review with two normative deliverables: Scalable Vector Graphics
(SVG) 2 and SVG Accessibility API Mappings.

Please respond to the AC review (or encourage your AC reps to do so)
when it comes across your plates.

Best,
--Wendy

On 05/25/2017 11:24 AM, Michael Champion wrote:
> We’ve been pushing back on joint deliverables in charters for pragmatic reasons: If no single group owns a spec, it tends to be a secondary priority for both groups.
>
> I don’t have strong feelings on whether the one owner should be a horizontal group such as ARIA or a spec-focused group such as SVG. My general principle is that work should go where the critical mass of expertise and willingness to do work lies.
>
> From: Shane McCarron <shane@spec-ops.io>
> Date: Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 7:07 AM
> To: John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>
> Cc: Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org>, Léonie Watson <tink@tink.uk>, "w3c-ac-forum@w3.org" <w3c-ac-forum@w3.org>, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, "liam@w3.org" <liam@w3.org>, W3C WAI Accessible Platform Architectures <public-apa@w3.org>
> Subject: Re: Updated draft charter for SVG work
>
> John,
>
> The Platform WG insisted on being the sole owners of the HTML AAM instead of having a joint deliverable.  At least, that's what I remember from the rechartering discussion earlier this year.  Personally I don't care - as long as the work gets done!  I just think we should be consistent.
>
> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 9:05 AM, John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com<mailto:john.foliot@deque.com>> wrote:
> +1 echoing Shane's concerns.
>
> I am also curious about the "push back from others" regarding joint deliverables, as currently other accessibility work within the W3C is being addressed via joint Task-Forces (https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/css-a11y/).
>
> Are we now suggesting that this model is no longer desired?
>
> I am also cc'ing the APA on this note, as another potential source of subject matter expertise that could liaise with the SVG WG - APA has long advocated embedding accessibility SMEs in other WG's to guide and assist.
>
> However I too believe that the SVG WG should be the "owner" of the SVG AAM.
>
> JF
>
> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 7:31 AM, Shane McCarron <shane@spec-ops.io<mailto:shane@spec-ops.io>> wrote:
> Wendy,
>
> With regard to the AAM:
>

> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org<mailto:wseltzer@w3.org>> wrote:
>

>> We'd like to see the SVG Accessibility API Mappings (AAM) specification
>> back in scope. The HTML AAM spec is the sole responsibility of the
>> WebPlat WG (along
>> with the HTML spec), and so keeping the SVG and SVG AAM specs within the
>> same WG would seem to be a logical thing to do.
>
> We've heard others pushing back against joint deliverables, and so her
> suggest that ARIA take full "ownership" of the AAM spec, and that
> members participating in SVG are "strongly encouraged to also join the
> ARIA WG" to help the spec's progress there.

> [...]

Strategy Lead, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
https://wendy.seltzer.org/        +1.617.863.0613 (mobile)