Re: Agenda: APA Teleconference; Wednesday19 April at 16:00Z

From: Léonie Watson <tink@tink.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 16:42:28 +0100
To: "Drake, Ted" <Ted_Drake@intuit.com>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, W3C WAI Accessible Platform Architectures <public-apa@w3.org>

On 19/04/2017 16:06, Drake, Ted wrote:
> I’m not sure if this is relevant, but I’ve been paying attention lately to up/down vs left/right arrow key interactions. For instance, a set of vertical tabs would encourage a sighted user to navigate them with up/down arrow keys, but a screen reader user may expect the left/right arrow keys to be relevant.
> Does this apply to the directional navigation spec? Should left arrow have the same action as down arrow?

I don't think so.

The directional navigation properties are for use in conjunction with
UAs that support spacial navigation. At present there doesn't seem to be
much in the way of desktop browser support except for Opera 12 (before
the switch to Blink). There is better support on Hobbits apparently.

The feature is at risk in Basic UI Level 3. I think it would be a useful
feature for accessibility, but without better interop, it seems unlikely
to flourish.

Léonie
--
@LeonieWatson tink.uk Carpe diem