W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-apa@w3.org > September 2016

Minutes from the APA call on 7 September

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 12:58:31 -0400
To: W3C WAI Accessible Platform Architectures <public-apa@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20160907165831.GB1838@opera.rednote.net>
Minutes from the APA teleconference of 7 September are provided below as text,
and are available as hypertext at:

http://www.w3.org/2016/09/07-apa-minutes.html


   W3C

                                                                                   - DRAFT -

                                                        Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

07 Sep 2016

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Janina, Joanmarie_Diggs, LJWatson, fesch, MichaelC, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Katie_Haritos-Shea, JF

   Regrets
   Chair
          Janina

   Scribe
          Rich

Contents

     * Topics
         1. preview agenda with items from two minutes
         2. TPAC Planning https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2016
         3. Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8
         4. new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html
         5. Horizontal Review Discussion Planning https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2016/SessionIdeas#Horizontal_review_summit
         6. EME Update http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Aug/0079.html
         7. Other Business
     * Summary of Action Items
     * Summary of Resolutions
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

   <janina> Hi, Ted. Let's hope this approach is more stable!

   <TedDRake> have you been watching me connect and drop off?

   <janina> Actually, not seeing you until now

   <scribe> scribe: Rich

preview agenda with items from two minutes

   janina: EME refuses to die.
   ... there is some additional discussion around TPAC
   ... any modifications to the agenda?

   michael: I have some 2 minute stuff

   <MichaelC> WoT draft charter

   michael: the web of things working group is wanting to add a liaison statement to apa
   ... is there an accessibility api for the web of things?

   rich: are WoT and IoT the same?

   michael: no WoT is a layer above

   katie: the web of things has their own kind of browser and authoring tools
   ... we need to discuss the components we have concerns about

   <MichaelC> APA wiki on WoT

   rich: let’s wait for the meeting at TPAC

   michael: we can wait to the tpac meeting before responding to their charter

   janina: we need a section in their charter to discuss accessibility - we should get to standard templates. this would include security as well

   katie: We know we need a mode of operation that includes accessible templates

   janina: we don’t have to do a deep dive now

   jf: I have been very interested int WoT - in particular home automation
   ... often the common denominator is the browser

   rich: we should discuss address the charter prior to tpac.

   michael: we need to address the charter prior to tpac

   rich: will the platform include ATs?

   michael: should I request the accessibility impact paragraph?

   <MichaelC> Draft Audio charter

   janina: yes

   rich: I think UIs will be multi-modal

   Michael: We need to be able to say why we need an impact section

   Janina: we should require an accessibility impact statement form everybody

   zakem, next item

TPAC Planning https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2016

   janina: our agenda is forming. There are some spots left open. We will have this WoT conversation but I don’t know when
   ... We will be meeting with the authentication people
   ... We will be talking about COGA
   ... Are there other topics we need to have at TPAC?
   ... CSS is Tuesday morning first thing

   JF: Are we meeting with the WCAG working group?
   ... They are working on WCAG 2.1 and Silver

   Michael: Andrew said something about a social event outside formal meeting time.
   ... I don’t see a need for joint meeting time with WCAG

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

   Michael: Action-2084?
   ... vibration API

   ACTION-2084?

   <trackbot> ACTION-2084 -- Ted Drake to Work with janina to draft an a11y considerations section for the vibration api -- due 2016-08-31 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2084

   Ted: there are preference requirements for personalization
   ... pages with a specific origin. 


   janina: can you take a stab at a draft?

   Ted: yes

   <MichaelC> action-2084 due 1 week

   <trackbot> Set action-2084 Work with janina to draft an a11y considerations section for the vibration api due date to 2016-09-14.

   ACTION-2083?

   <trackbot> ACTION-2083 -- Ted Drake to Review deviceorientation event specification https://www.w3.org/tr/orientation-event/ -- due 2016-08-31 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2083

   Ted: I looked at this and there was nothing in the spec. that had to do with accessibility
   ... Someone could detect device orientation changes to detect a tremor

   JF: I did not see anything applicable here for accessibility

   <MichaelC> close action-2083

   <trackbot> Closed action-2083.

   <MichaelC> close action-2082

   <trackbot> Closed action-2082.

   ACTION-2081?

   <trackbot> ACTION-2081 -- Michael Cooper to See if web app manifest comments are dealt with https://www.w3.org/wai/apa/wiki/web_app_manifest -- due 2016-08-17 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2081

   michael: still open

   ACTION-2085?

   <trackbot> ACTION-2085 -- Fred Esch to Review https://www.w3.org/tr/shacl-abstract-syntax/ shacl core abstract syntax and semantics -- due 2016-09-07 -- PENDINGREVIEW

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2085

   Action-2069?

   <trackbot> Action-2069 -- Michael Cooper to Follow up on http://www.w3.org/tr/media-source/ media source extensions -- due 2016-08-04 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2069

   Michael: action 2069 - Fred to review

   Fred: no UI impact. We do not need to review it

   <fesch> action-2085

   <trackbot> action-2085 -- Fred Esch to Review https://www.w3.org/tr/shacl-abstract-syntax/ shacl core abstract syntax and semantics -- due 2016-09-07 -- PENDINGREVIEW

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2085

   <MichaelC> close action-2085

   <trackbot> Closed action-2085.

   RESOLUTION: no comments to file for action 2085

   janina: matrix on why we made decisions on aria-details, etc.
   ... discovery of aria-details by non-AT users

   leonie: browsers are not interested in a corresponding attribute in html as it applies to aria-details
   ... it might be good to give David Singers view on the HTML text

   <MichaelC> ACTION: cooper to sign, seal, and deliver the extended description matrix https://www.w3.org/2015/08/extended-description-analysis [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2016/09/07-apa-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2089 - Sign, seal, and deliver the extended description matrix https://www.w3.org/2015/08/extended-description-analysis [on Michael Cooper -
   due 2016-09-14].

   leonie: david singer was not abashed at the browsers changing the UI.

   janina: we need to take the past history off limits

   <LJWatson> http://github.com/w3c/html/issues/561

   michael: there are spec. changes that we are actively working on
   ... there are specifications that we were required to riview. one was ambient light.
   ... that is it for spec. review for this week

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Horizontal Review Discussion Planning https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2016/SessionIdeas#Horizontal_review_summit

   janina: we have talked about certain requirements that would help them do due diligence.
   ... what a perfect topic for TPAC

   <MichaelC> Horizontal Review Summit proposal

   Janina; we would like to be able to plan our work vs. having to firefight

   Janina: we will try to get other groups to join us
   ... we do have things we would like to bring to the table
   ... standard process ideas would be good to agree on
   ... the idea is to us to get other groups to get this part of the process to be well defined.
   ... the reason horizontal review is good is it puts an identifiable spot in any spec where accessibility is called out. This way people don’t have to go through the
   whole spec. to find the accessibility work.
   ... this is important for implementors as well as those creating the standards
   ... it might say “no impact’

   michael: I am hoping that we talk to other groups about practices
   ... horizontal groups are talking about establishing a checklist
   ... I am hoping to reinvigorate the work
   ... we need to discuss best practices
   ... We want to define best practices so that groups address accessibility in horizontal review where the groups reach out for horizontal review
   ... if we can share pain points and solutions it will improve horizontal review

   JF: what is the possibility of setting a horizontal review email to request horizontal reviews
   ... this would be an alias mailing list
   ... there is one for announcements. So we could talk with that group
   ... If we had a specific email address that people could post to it might put a spotlight on it

   <Ryladog> TPAC Question: I have learned on the interweb that Uber functions in Lisbon, can anybody confirm this?

   <scribe> chair: Janina

EME Update http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Aug/0079.html

   <MichaelC> Review Announce list

   Janina: we came to conclusion that there was no issue
   ... then I start hearing from management that they are not convinced we don’t have an issue
   ... we need to check back with management

   JF: can we get a clear articulation of the issue

   Janina: I am trying to to do that

Other Business

   katie: I just wanted to know if anyone knows if Uber runs in Lisbon

   <Ryladog> https://www.w3.org/wiki/MeetingTaxis

   https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189158-i203-k9379620-Uber_questions-Lisbon_Lisbon_District_Central_Portugal.html

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: cooper to sign, seal, and deliver the extended description matrix https://www.w3.org/2015/08/extended-description-analysis [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2016/09/07-apa-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

    1. no comments to file for action 2085

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Found Scribe: Rich
Present: Janina Joanmarie_Diggs LJWatson fesch MichaelC Rich_Schwerdtfeger Katie_Haritos-Shea JF
Found Date: 07 Sep 2016
People with action items: cooper

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.



   [End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]

-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net
		Email:	janina@rednote.net

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:	http://a11y.org

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures	http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
Received on Wednesday, 7 September 2016 16:58:57 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 September 2016 16:58:57 UTC