W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-apa@w3.org > August 2016

Minutes from APA on 24 August

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 13:27:26 -0400
To: W3C WAI Accessible Platform Architectures <public-apa@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20160824172726.GG2114@opera.rednote.net>
Minutes from the APA teleconference of 24 August are provided below as text,
and are available as hypertext at:

http://www.w3.org/2016/08/24-apa-minutes.html


   W3C

                                                                                   - DRAFT -

                                                        Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

24 Aug 2016

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Janina, ShaneM, LJWatson, Ted, Drake, Joanmarie_Diggs, JF, Katie_Haritos-Shea, fesch, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, MichaelC

   Regrets
          Leonie

   Chair
          Janina

   Scribe
          cyns

Contents

     * Topics
         1. preview agenda with items from two minutes
         2. Other Business
         3. TPAC Planning
         4. actions
         5. new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html
         6. aria-details discovery update
     * Summary of Action Items
     * Summary of Resolutions
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

preview agenda with items from two minutes

   <scribe> scribe: cyns

   <Ryladog> I will only be able to attend via irc today

   <janina> OK, Katie. Thanks.

Other Business

TPAC Planning

   js: draft task force document to css and aria. aria has approved
   ... also sent initial list of specs and issues
   ... no comments from css, pinged again today
   ... asked for meeting time at tpac, and edits

   rs: filed issues against web components
   ... trying to get an api for accessibility

   <Rich> ack

   rs: I agreed to make a draft of personalization semantics draft to take to coga, first pw by end of year
   ... this would be an aria spec

   <Zakim> JF, you wanted to ask if we have started to flesh out a meeting schedule for TPAC?

   js: we're working on it

   rs: can give you aria

   <Rich> https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2016

   rs: early draft, some things will change

   <Rich> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2016

actions

   mc: action 2081?

   action 2081?

   <scribe> ACTION: 2081? [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/08/24-apa-minutes.html#action01]

   action-2081?

   <trackbot> action-2081 -- Michael Cooper to See if web app manifest comments are dealt with https://www.w3.org/wai/apa/wiki/web_app_manifest -- due 2016-08-17 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2081

   action-2077?

   <trackbot> action-2077 -- Janina Sajka to Review poe https://www.w3.org/tr/poe-ucr/ use cases and requirements -- due 2016-08-24 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2077

   action-2076?

   <trackbot> action-2076 -- Janina Sajka to Review http://www.w3.org/tr/vocab-odrl/ odrl vocabulary & expression and http://www.w3.org/tr/odrl-model/ odrl information
   model -- due 2016-08-24 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2076

   js: not done

   action-2073?

   <trackbot> action-2073 -- Janina Sajka to Review http://www.w3.org/tr/remote-playback/ remote playback api -- due 2016-08-03 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2073

   close action-2073

   <trackbot> Closed action-2073.

   action-2069?

   <trackbot> action-2069 -- Michael Cooper to Follow up on http://www.w3.org/tr/media-source/ media source extensions -- due 2016-08-04 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2069

   mc: not done

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

   <MichaelC> DeviceOrientation Event Specification

   mc: there's a device orientation event

   js: don't think we care

   jd: I might care... is this about horizontal to vertical rotation?

   mc: I think so?

   jd: do we need an AAM about how to express this in aapi? screen reader may need to announce orientation, clear cache... AT's care

   mc: looks like acclerometer stuff, roation and location in 3d space

   jf: from geolocation wg. May have impact on wayfinding, VR, pokeman go, and things where how your device is oriented matter

   js: I think it will be useful, need to report data... is the way of collecting that data something we have concerns about, or how it gets applied in a user interface

   mc: may need to show up in AAPI. Note, this is a CR, could be PR, last draft was in 2011
   ... pr date sept 15?

   jf: has security and privacy section, no accessibility section

   mc: sounds like we need to review

   jd: what spec does this belong in?

   mc: accessibility seciton in this spec may be good

   <MichaelC> ACTION: JF to review DeviceOrientation Event Specification https://www.w3.org/TR/orientation-event/ [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2016/08/24-apa-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2082 - Review deviceorientation event specification https://www.w3.org/tr/orientation-event/ [on John Foliot - due 2016-08-31].

   js: look at web payment spec as model

   <MichaelC> action-2082: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/DeviceOrientation_Event_Specification

   <trackbot> Notes added to action-2082 Review deviceorientation event specification https://www.w3.org/tr/orientation-event/.

   <MichaelC> action-2082: Coordinate with Joanie

   <trackbot> Notes added to action-2082 Review deviceorientation event specification https://www.w3.org/tr/orientation-event/.

   <MichaelC> action-2082?

   <trackbot> action-2082 -- John Foliot to Review deviceorientation event specification https://www.w3.org/tr/orientation-event/ -- due 2016-08-31 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2082

   td: there are a lot of apps that are trying to guide user to important part of something. guide people to the important part of their w2, or what to take a picture
   of. this api might be applicable?

   mc: sounds like a use of that spec.

   <janina> `q?

   <MichaelC> ACTION: drake to review DeviceOrientation Event Specification https://www.w3.org/TR/orientation-event/ [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2016/08/24-apa-minutes.html#action03]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2083 - Review deviceorientation event specification https://www.w3.org/tr/orientation-event/ [on Ted Drake - due 2016-08-31].

   <MichaelC> HTML 5.2

   js: wait for leonie and ask about a diff

   <MichaelC> Indexed Database API 2.0

   fe: doens't sound related to accessibiliy

   <MichaelC> Vibration API

   mc: unless we have a big issue, not need to comment on proposed edited rec

   jf: has security and privacy section, should have accessibility

   cs: +1

   mc: we've done some things about that

   <Ryladog_> +1

   mc: there is a charter template that has this, security and privacy got added before accessibility. this should improve over time.
   ... not sure if every spec needs a11y section
   ... looking at plenary session on accessibility secitons

   js: not sure anything needed for this spec. maybe there is a need for os at to vibrate, and might need to restrict apps from collisions with that. not sure it is
   worth a comment

   td: users should be able to turn off vibration. could be an issue for adhd.

   js: do we want to make a comment like that?

   jf: yes, maybe

   <MichaelC> ACTION: drake to work with Janina to draft an a11y considerations section for the Vibration API [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2016/08/24-apa-minutes.html#action04]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2084 - Work with janina to draft an a11y considerations section for the vibration api [on Ted Drake - due 2016-08-31].

   js: we have use case for turning off for adhd, and a use a case for collisions

   mc: proposed edited rec is where it up for advisory committee, not taking other review. there is supposed to be an opportunity for us to comment. was required for
   wcag 2.0. we may need an AC person to drive this

   <MichaelC> action-2084: https://www.w3.org/TR/2016/PER-vibration-20160818/

   <trackbot> Notes added to action-2084 Work with janina to draft an a11y considerations section for the vibration api.

   js: especially since it's not a normative impact

   mc: AC vote would probably close Sept 18.

aria-details discovery update

   js: discussions ongoing after useful call last week

   <MichaelC> action-2084?

   <trackbot> action-2084 -- Ted Drake to Work with janina to draft an a11y considerations section for the vibration api -- due 2016-08-31 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2084

   td: i couldn't find the details of aria-details. it wasn't in aria 1.1?

   rs: it's in the rawgit version?

   <Rich> http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/aria.html

   js: I think all dpub needs is support in rendering toolkit, not in browsers themselves
   ... this will be discussed in dpub, should have concensus before dpub

   jd: from the point of view of the user agent, the rendering toolkit is the browser

   js: IIRC, firefox doesn't expose longdesc, but gecko does.

   jd: in the case of longdesc, it's two things. gecko exposed in API, firefox added to context menu

   js: is that the only example?

   jd: are you saying that implementors don't want aria-details to have any chrome, but do want it exposed to accessibility api
   ... is the objection of user interface implementors that they don't want browser "chrome" (UX)

   <Zakim> cyns, you wanted to say that it works well, in my experience, to have the section on every spec, and put n/a if it is

   mc: accessibility secitons should be a tpac topic, maybe a horizontal review topic

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: 2081? [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/08/24-apa-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: drake to review DeviceOrientation Event Specification https://www.w3.org/TR/orientation-event/ [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2016/08/24-apa-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: drake to work with Janina to draft an a11y considerations section for the Vibration API [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2016/08/24-apa-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: JF to review DeviceOrientation Event Specification https://www.w3.org/TR/orientation-event/ [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2016/08/24-apa-minutes.html#action02]

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Found Scribe: cyns
Present: Janina ShaneM LJWatson Ted Drake Joanmarie_Diggs JF Katie_Haritos-Shea fesch Rich_Schwerdtfeger MichaelC
Regrets: Leonie
People with action items: 2081 drake jf


   [End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]

-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net
		Email:	janina@rednote.net

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:	http://a11y.org

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures	http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
Received on Wednesday, 24 August 2016 17:27:53 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 24 August 2016 17:27:53 UTC