From: Matthew Atkinson <m.atkinson@samsung.com>
Date: Thursday, 1 August 2024 at 5:43 PM
To: 'Janina Sajka' <janina@rednote.net>, public-apa-admin@w3.org <public-apa-admin@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Call for Consensus (CfC): Comments on WCAG2ICT
+1 Matthew Atkinson Head of Web Standards Samsung R&D Institute UK Samsung Electronics +44 7733 238 020 Samsung R&D Institute (SRUK), Communications House, South Street, Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey, T
External (m.atkinson@samsung.com<mailto:m.atkinson@samsung.com>)
  Report This Email<https://protection.inkyphishfence.com/report?id=bmV0b3JnZnQ4NDM0NDAvbmphZGhhdkBoZWxpeG9wcC5jb20vZGVjZTlhNjI4MzJhMTFlN2RjZGNkNGFhMTgzMDY0MWYvMTcyMjUxNDQxNS4zOQ==#key=ac026c7e7e45872cd9f6a0f8521aabff>  FAQ<https://www.godaddy.com/help/report-email-with-advanced-email-security-40813>  GoDaddy Advanced Email Security, Powered by INKY<https://www.inky.com/protection-by-inky>

+1

Matthew Atkinson

Head of Web Standards

Samsung R&D Institute UK

Samsung Electronics

+44 7733 238 020

Samsung R&D Institute (SRUK), Communications House, South Street,

Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey, TW18 4QE. A division of Samsung Electronics

(UK) Limited, a limited company registered in England and Wales with

registered number 03086621 and whose registered address is Samsung House,

2000 Hillswood Drive, Chertsey, Surrey, KT16 0RS, UK. This email (including

any attachments) is private and confidential, and may be privileged. It is

for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you have received

this email in error, please inform the sender immediately and then delete

this email. Unless you have been given specific permission to do so, please

do not distribute or copy this email or its contents. Unless the text of

this email specifically states that it is a contractual offer or acceptance,

the sender does not intend to create a legal relationship and this email

shall not constitute an offer or acceptance which could give rise to a

contract. Any views expressed in this communication are those of the

individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be

the views of Samsung.

Architectures (APA)

> Working Group proposing three APA comments on "Applying WCAG 2 to Non-

> Web Information and Communications Technologies (WCAG2ICT)"  as

> requested in this github issue:

> https://protect2.fireeye.com/v1/url?k=2440380b-453b9282-2441b344-<https://shared.outlook.inky.com/link?domain=protect2.fireeye.com&t=h.eJxNzE0OgyAQhuGrNKwrCIyKJk29Cur4UxWIomnT9O6FrprZvd_keZNjW0h1IaP3bq8Yc5v12HpB-2lDfCFt7cpOzsLbfb4JgFSqtEkgk00plEhC4Y0ESMj1QuYoGfR2G3qvIOSUmYfuRn3WIy7T0zr3AztssdS5UFJozrHo2nCgNVcyzYH3jBdCZDzYGZVlpDHSK9V-nsxuTb3rdT_MELU4d3H-b58vQidBqw.MEUCIQD0JnWugo85aes6xTU_Xix_w1t8rm7RELqivvBn5r5oWAIgMusAJo32YKGlK2pZV20xcrvOK9XIbLenwVsaAxwBYQc>

> 74fe48600034-6f6b8c8942f92cef&q=1&e=25e78ade-3470-4736-84fb-

> 460d53e4066a&u=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fw3c%2Fa11y-

> request%2Fissues%2F88

> ***Proposed APA Comments***

> ***Issue #1

> APA appreciates the proposed Introduction section,  but we believe that it

> would be helpful to mention the POUR principles explicitly, and to clarify

the

> intended audience, and to reinforce the importance of obtaining user

feedback

> when testing. We offer the following draft paragraph.

> "This document provides informative guidance on mapping WCAG to non-web

> ICT contexts. Readers are encouraged to keep in mind the core framing

> principles which undergird WCAG Success Criteria and are commonly

> expressed by the acronym, POUR: Perceivable, Operable, Understandable, and

> Robust. Developers are also strongly encouraged to obtain testing input

from

> persons with disabilities using applications and content. The sections

below

> provide further details on how individual success criteria may be

interpreted

> outside of the web context."

> ***Issue #2

> Seeking clarity for key term 'underlying platform software'

> Throughout most of the document, we understand the following uses of two

> key terms:

> * 'Web content' is generally replaced by either 'content' or 'software' -

i.e.

> instead of a web page, we may be considering an app running on a system.

> * 'User agent' is generally replaced by [1]'platform software' - which is

defined

> as 'software that runs on an underlying software or hardware layer and

that

> provides a set of software services to other software components'. To us,

this

> reads as 'the OS, or libraries installed on the system'.

> However, in some SCs (and one glossary entry) the following terms are used

> instead of the above two:

> * 'Underlying platform software' seems to be used to mean what we

> understood 'platform software' to mean above (i.e. the OS, or libraries

installed

> on the system).

> * 'Platform software' seems to be used to mean 'an app (running on an OS

> instead of within a user agent)'

> This relates to the following SCs, and a glossary definition:

> * 2.5.1 (non-web software branch)

> * 2.5.2 (non-web software branch)

> * 2.5.7 (non-web software branch)

> * 3.3.8 * Glossary entry 'keyboard interface'

> What are we asking for?

> * If we understand the definitions of the terms correctly, then it seems

like

> there could be an inconsistency with some SCs, as they use the phrase

> 'underlying platform software'.

> * However, if we don't understand correctly, and there is a distinction

between

> 'platform software' and 'underlying platform software', would it be

possible to

> clarify the use of 'underlying platform software' - perhaps adding it to

the key

> terms?

> ***Issue #3

> Closed functionality list - suggested additions

> Section in document: [2]Closed functionality list

> The closed functionality list is accommodating, but could be expanded to

> include the following:

> 1. Medical devices such as digital blood pressure monitors, glucose

metres, or

> other wearable devices.

> 2. Educational devices like whiteboard, smart boards.

> 3. Gaming platforms or consoles.

> It's noted that some games consoles have extensive accessibility features

> (especially with respect to controller hardware, and sometimes including

TTS

> functionality) but that, as per the note in this section of the document,

not all

> of these aspects are open to user choice.

> ***Action to Take***

> This CfC is now open for objection, comment, as well as statements of

support

> via email. Silence will be interpreted as support, though messages of

support

> are certainly welcome.

> If you object to this proposed action, or have comments concerning this

> proposal, please respond by replying on list to this message no later than

23:59

> (Midnight) Boston Time, Friday 2 August.

> As always with an APA CfCs, editorial corrections, such as spelling or

grammar,

> will be made as needed without further notice.  Please do draw our

attention

> to any editorial issues you find in this draft.

> NOTE: This Call for Consensus is being conducted in accordance with the

APA