Re: 48-Hour Call for Consensus (CfC): TV Remote Control API Comments

From: lisa.seeman <lisa.seeman@zoho.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 22:02:11 +0200
To: "Janina Sajka" <janina@rednote.net>
Cc: "Accessible Platform Architectures Administration" <public-apa-admin@w3.org>
Sorry I missed the call. I had a conflict

All the best

Lisa Seeman

LinkedIn, Twitter

---- On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 18:53:43 +0200 Janina Sajka&lt;janina@rednote.net&gt; wrote ----

OK, Lisa. Please come on a call so we can discuss.

Lisa Seeman writes:
&gt; Hi Janinathat is not the use case i want
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; I want the API to include a place to say the common role/concept of a control.
&gt; For example - higher and lower
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; I also want for there to be a way to identify the 2 - 5 most critical features
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; then AT THE USER END an application can simplify or adapt the interface to make it understandable to coga usegroups
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; I see this as absolutely crucial
&gt;
&gt; All the best
&gt;
&gt; Lisa Seeman
&gt;
&gt; LinkedIn, Twitter
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; ---- On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 16:35:53 +0200 Janina Sajka&amp;lt;janina@rednote.net&amp;gt; wrote ----
&gt;
&gt; Hi, Lisa:
&gt;
&gt; I'm befuddled trying to understand your point. Please help me out here.
&gt;
&gt; Is the following correct?
&gt;
&gt; You want to represent the concept of adjusting audio volume higher or
&gt; lower using some kind of symbology that doesn't use the very common
&gt; English remote control term: "Volume Control." I think I can understand
&gt; how there would be use cases for representing that concept differently.
&gt; For one thing it would need to be represented in the world's various
&gt; languages.
&gt;
&gt; Assuming the above is correct, I still don't see how that becomes a
&gt; comment on the API. It's not the role of the API to provide alternative
&gt; dictionaries of terms and symbols. Rather, it's the role of Volume
&gt; Control in this API to allow for audio volume to be raised or lowered by
&gt; some kind of user agent, in our case likely software associated with a
&gt; browser (or using browser technology) inasmuch as we're talking about
&gt; the www.
&gt;
&gt; If you want to get into how these concepts are standardized across
&gt; different symbol systems, I should probably point you to ISO where they
&gt; do exactly those kinds of standards for hardware devices.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; So, what am I missing here?
&gt;
&gt; Janina
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Lisa Seeman writes:
&gt; &amp;gt; Hi JaninaI might be missing something but I can not see how we can adapt something like volume control or temperature control and give it a symbol or text that the user understands.
&gt; &amp;gt; In other words i do not see that COGA's needs are met. Until then people will need assisted living or live in help much earlier then they would otherwise becauseof these gaps.
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; Can you explain that use case if I am missing it?
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; All the best
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; Lisa Seeman
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; LinkedIn, Twitter
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; ---- On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 16:16:43 +0200 Janina Sajka&amp;amp;lt;janina@rednote.net&amp;amp;gt; wrote ----
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; Colleagues:
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; This is a Call for Consensus (CfC) to the Accessible Platform
&gt; &amp;gt; Architectures (APA) Working Group on our review of the TV Remote Control
&gt; &amp;gt; API specification as detailed below.
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; I have endeavored to incorporate such API related comments as we've
&gt; &amp;gt; recieved on an earlier draft comment beginning at:
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2017Feb/0019.html
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;lt;Begin Draft Comment&amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; The Accessible Platform Architectures (APA) Working Group makes the
&gt; &amp;gt; following comments on the draft TV Control API specification at:
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; https://www.w3.org/tr/tvcontrol-api/
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; We appreciate that an API for TV remote control could be utilized for
&gt; &amp;gt; enabling accessible alternative Web applications to provide radio and TV
&gt; &amp;gt; services to users with disabilities who may find it difficult or
&gt; &amp;gt; impossible to operate any user interface supplied with a particular
&gt; &amp;gt; hardware device. This is an inherent accessibility strength for any API
&gt; &amp;gt; that provides for sufficient feature support. Regretably, we believe the
&gt; &amp;gt; current TV Remote Control API as currently defined lacks required
&gt; &amp;gt; accessibility feature support.
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; * alternative media support
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; We would draw your attention to the multiple alternative media formats
&gt; &amp;gt; that are used by persons with disabilities as set forth in our W3C Note
&gt; &amp;gt; publication: "Media Accessibility User Requirements (MAUR)" available
&gt; &amp;gt; at:
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; http://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; Our reading of the Tv Control API draft finds no way for users to learn
&gt; &amp;gt; of the presence of any MAUR identified alternative media with any
&gt; &amp;gt; particular TV content, nor any means to request display of alternative
&gt; &amp;gt; content. This is a fundamental accessibility requirement on TV Controls
&gt; &amp;gt; and we believe it must be factored into this specification.
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; * Alternative Media on Second Screen Devices
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; APA's predecessor Working Group, Protocols and Formats WG provided use
&gt; &amp;gt; cases and requirements to the Second Screen Working Group on how
&gt; &amp;gt; alternative media might be directed to second screen devices. We believe
&gt; &amp;gt; support for directing alternative video, audio, and/or text to secondary
&gt; &amp;gt; devices, as described in the MAUR, is a fundamental accessibility
&gt; &amp;gt; requirement on TV Controls and should be supported in this API.
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; * Legal Requirements
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in the U.S. has explicit
&gt; &amp;gt; requirements on how alternative media are to be exposed to consumers.
&gt; &amp;gt; Developers should be flagged most especially on the requirement that
&gt; &amp;gt; captioning must be enableable by top level controls. These FCC
&gt; &amp;gt; requirements implement provisions of a U.S. law known as the
&gt; &amp;gt; "Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act" as
&gt; &amp;gt; explained by the FCC at:
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; https://www.fcc.gov/general/twenty-first-century-communications-and-video-accessibility-act-0#block-menu-block-4
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; The FCC's regulations pertinent to this specification were published in
&gt; &amp;gt; December 2016 in the document: "Accessibility Requirements for
&gt; &amp;gt; Television and Set-Top Box Controls, Menus, and Program Guides"
&gt; &amp;gt; available at:
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; PDF: https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-16-1416A1.pdf
&gt; &amp;gt; MS-Word: https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-16-1416A1.docx
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; Also relevant is the document "Display of Captioning on Equipment Used
&gt; &amp;gt; to View Video Programming" available at:
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/closed-captioning-display-requirements-equipment#block-menu-block-4
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;lt;End Draft Comment&amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; * ACTION TO TAKE
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; This CfC is now open for objection, comment, as well as statements of
&gt; &amp;gt; support via email. Silence will be interpreted as support, though
&gt; &amp;gt; messages of support are certainly welcome.
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; If you object to this proposed action, or have comments concerning this
&gt; &amp;gt; proposal, please respond by replying on list to this message no later
&gt; &amp;gt; than 23:59 (Midnight) Boston Time, Tuesday 28 February.
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; Janina
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; --
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
&gt; &amp;gt; sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net
&gt; &amp;gt; Email: janina@rednote.net
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; Linux Foundation Fellow
&gt; &amp;gt; Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: http://a11y.org
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
&gt; &amp;gt; Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt;
&gt; --
&gt;
&gt; Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
&gt; sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net
&gt; Email: janina@rednote.net
&gt;
&gt; Linux Foundation Fellow

--

Janina Sajka,    Phone:    +1.443.300.2200
            sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net
        Email:    janina@rednote.net

Linux Foundation Fellow