Re: 48-Hour Call for Consensus (CfC): TV Remote Control API Comments

Hi Janinathat is not the use case i want

I want the API to include a place to say the common role/concept of a control.
For example - higher and lower

I also want for there to be a way to identify the 2 - 5 most critical features

then AT THE USER END an application can simplify or adapt the interface to make it understandable to coga usegroups

I see this as absolutely crucial

All the best

Lisa Seeman

LinkedIn, Twitter

---- On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 16:35:53 +0200 Janina Sajka<janina@rednote.net> wrote ----

Hi, Lisa:

I'm befuddled trying to understand your point. Please help me out here.

Is the following correct?

You want to represent the concept of adjusting audio volume higher or
lower using some kind of symbology that doesn't use the very common
English remote control term: "Volume Control." I think I can understand
how there would be use cases for representing that concept differently.
For one thing it would need to be represented in the world's various
languages.

Assuming the above is correct, I still don't see how that becomes a
comment on the API. It's not the role of the API to provide alternative
dictionaries of terms and symbols. Rather, it's the role of Volume
Control in this API to allow for audio volume to be raised or lowered by
some kind of user agent, in our case likely software associated with a
browser (or using browser technology) inasmuch as we're talking about
the www.

If you want to get into how these concepts are standardized across
different symbol systems, I should probably point you to ISO where they
do exactly those kinds of standards for hardware devices.

So, what am I missing here?

Janina