Re: another idea for the URN approach to local UIDs in bookmarks

Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> Do you know what other protocols use this uuid scheme? That it is
> specified (and even have algorithms and code) makes it appealing for
> this application. But if there some other protocols that use it, we
> may discover opportunities to re-use parts of those protocols as well.

OSF DCE RPC uses UUIDs (but do people use DCE?)

It is used in various LDAP implementations to tag attribute values in a
unique way (typically to support server-to-server replication or
client-to-server synchronization).  Some of these uses are now being
proposed as standards in the IETF, e.g.,

   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldup-lcup-06.txt
   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zeilenga-ldap-uuid-03.txt

UUIDs are also used in COM (by Microsoft and others) as unique identifiers
for C++ interface definitions, etc.  And also in many XML based efforts (but
I don't know the details).

> We were looking for something more shapely, and with nicer colors, but
> maybe if there's already code we'll forgo aesthetics this time.

Understood.

--
Mark Smith
LDAP Book Information: http://www.ldapbook.com/