Re: [web-annotation] Dropping type from ... what?

 I hope everyone didn't listen to all that cheesy music :)

If the annotation is made by youtube.com itself when the users make
comments on the site, they will know that the top level comments
(usually) is about the video itself, not about the landing page for
the video. Other annotation tools that hardcode support for say
"youtube.com" and "vimeo.com" and also choose Video as default type,
but with a drop-down to override.

The user does not have to choose something, so if you annotate the
target of http://example.com/unknown - then you don't know.

This guess could obviously be wrong, e.g. a comment about the video
side-bar or about a commercial - but those could be tricky anyway
(e.g. different people get different auxillary context on the landing
page)

The main topic of the youtube landing page is the presented video - so
assuming dctypes:Video here is not a far stretch.

Semantically, yes, there should ideally be a separate URL for the
video in the Youtube page, e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOpUL_hqNlU#video 1) . But then
annotations made elsewhere about that Youtube video is very unlikely
to use that anchor.  Using https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOpUL_hqNlU
directly means that say an Android software could correctly open the
Youtube player.

There could also be lots of other types around, which could be
discovered by inspecting microdata on the target, e.g. to see if it is
a http://schema.org/Restaurant - now you get the HTTP Range 14 issue
again if you are annotating the restaurant: "Wonderful!"  or the
restaurant's website: "Wonderful!" (the website)

1) Actually the HTML with Flash in Firefox has #placeholder-player -
but in HTML5 mode it is #movie_player - so no consistent anchor here.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, eScience Lab
School of Computer Science