Re: Note on Formal Objections (was Re: Motivation as Property or Value)

Thanks, Frederick. It's always good to remind (or inform) people about
W3C's Process for resolving issues and running WGs.

So far as I can tell, there haven't been (and are not likely to be) any
Formal Objections to this proposal.

That's not to say we can't revisit any issue if there is new evidence,
but it's useful to make a decision and move on.

As a side note on Formal Objections from W3C as an organization, we try
to exercise extreme oversight into our Formal Objections; a Staff
Contact cannot raise a Formal Objection without the approval of at least
their Domain Lead, and often the Director (or someone whom the Director,
TimBL, designates); this only happens in extreme cases (though I've seen
Staff Contacts bluster about making Formal Objections from time to time :D).

For example, not that I'd be anywhere close to a Formal Objection on
anything that's been discussed in this WG, but even if I were, I'd
probably have to convince Ivan as my Fellow Staff Contact, and our
Domain Leader, and very likely TimBL or his designate.

This is part of our check-and-balance system, and it's a good rule! As
the ones most tasked with enforcing W3C Process (in conjunction with the
Chairs), including consensus and interpretations of the WG charter,
we're held to a higher burden of proof on using the Process to stop
progress.

Regards–
–Doug