Re: Agenda: Web Annotation Teleconference 2 Sept 2015

All,

Regarding Agenda point 4, I'd like to frame it as the following design
tradeoff:
  * Option 1:  Verbose, Structured and Consistent
  * Option 2:  Compact, Flexible and Inconsistent

Following this trade-off, the decision seems to be between:

## Option 1:
  * motivatedBy is only allowed on SpecificResource
  * SpecificResource is required as the object of hasBody and hasTarget
  * Decreases need for type statements as the structure is regular
  * Improves client performance as there are fewer tests that need to be
made in the code

## Option 2:
  * Allow motivatedBy on EmbeddedContent, SpecificResource, Multiplicity
and the Annotation
  * Allow any resource as the object of hasBody and hasTarget
  * Increases need for type statements as the structure is irregular
  * (Arguably) Improves network performance as fewer bytes are transferred
[1]

This leaves aside all of the naming issues and subClassing questions, which
may be easier to decide (or non-issues) after the above decision has been
made.

Many thanks,

Rob

[1] I include arguably, as with on-the-fly / over-the-wire compression, we
(Stanford, IIIF) have found the difference is so minimal at this level that
all other network performance issues will make this gain undetectable.