Re: [web-annotation] Make Selectors available for the wide world?

From: Rob Sanderson via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 18:44:52 +0000
To: public-annotation@w3.org
Regarding overhead, my opinion is that if they go through the process
separately, we're making extra and unnecessary headaches. We would
need to do the selectors document first, in order to refer to it from
the model document.  And then we'd need (I assume) a vocab document
for the selectors, separate from the selector model document ... and
for the annotation vocab document to include the selectors in the
external section.

If we're going to split things out, then I think that the embedded
content / textual body is an even better candidate.  We know that
there are multiple uses, because we have it, as does ActivityStreams,
as did the Content in RDF not-quite-spec.  No one else (that I know
of) has approached the selector issue?
And if they did, I don't see why they would be somehow afraid to use
it if it was in an Annotation spec?  The great thing about RDF is that
 you can pull appropriate classes and predicates from different
vocabularies and use them as needed.

Regarding the SpecificResource, yes you successfully did not put type:
 SpecificResource into the RDF ... but the first blank node serves the
 same purpose, just using different non-standard vocabulary. To be
clearer, my assertion is that you need some resource to play the role
of the SpecificResource to make a Selector useful.  I don't understand
 the reluctance to treat section 4 as a whole. State, Style, Scope and
 renderedVia are hardly annotation specific and would just be
reinvented unnecessarily.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by azaroth42
Please view or discuss this issue at