Re: [web-annotation] Add `mbox_sha1sum` for the same reason(s) FOAF did

From: BigBlueHat via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 14:29:03 +0000
To: public-annotation@w3.org
@azaroth42 there is not a registered `urn:sha1` nor is there one that
states that this one is a `sha1` of a `mailto`, so...while I love the
idea of putting this in the `id` field, there's not a current way to
do that. It can't (imo) be an HTTP URL because the only
"authoritative" URI I have for the user is their `mailto:`--which I
was previously storing (and making available to others) in the `email`
 field.

I could (and perhaps this is what we should recommend) create a local
URL for the user (based on a sha1 or whatever I feel like) and use
that HTTP URL as the `id`--in which case it would be up to me to
decide what I returned there.

The disadvantage here, though, is that as the annotation "moved
around" among other annotation systems, the author's annotations could
 end up with many different `id`'s--vs. this approach of having a
consistent way to create what FOAF calls an "indirect
identifier"...essentially a "hash tag" (in the original sense ;) ) for
 that `creator`. All annotation systems creation annotations on behalf
 of a given email address would then create the same "indirect
identifier" which would work in a similar fashion to the UUID we've
been discussion for the annotation as a whole--a method of
identification that doesn't dictate a required (or even known)
interference location.

I'd like to avoid the requirement to store `creator` data in an
additional place to annotations made by those creators. It certainly
MAY be done, but I think it's out of scope to require that.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by BigBlueHat
Please view or discuss this issue at