Re: [web-annotation] Functionality: XPath Range Selector

From: Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 10:26:18 -0500
To: Frederick Hirsch via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Cc: public-annotation@w3.org
On 2015-11-04 09:51, Frederick Hirsch via GitHub wrote:
> should I be getting nervous about XPath and the potential need for
> possible text normalization and canonicalization?
No...

> Are there
> performance costs associated with normalization/canonicalization and
> can they be avoided?

For Web annotations the document will presumably already have been
parsed using the HTML 5 rules before the annotations are processed, so
the necessary degree of normalization is probably already there.

> Does findtext eliminate the need for XPath in our use cases? Can it?
> should it?

findText is built on selectors - both CSS and XPath in the current draft
- so no, you still need a selection mechanism.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C
XML Activity Lead;