From: Benjamin Young [mailto:bigbluehat@hypothes.is]
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 2:10 PM
To: Denenberg, Ray
Cc: Web Annotation
Subject: Re: Framing Use Cases (was: Annotating Bibliographic Information)

Hey Ray (et al),

First, thanks for contributing these use cases! You're one of the first (and sadly only...) so far, and it's appreciated. :)

Second, I'll admit to being confused by the use of "annotation" (broadly) for things like Cover Art and Holding records. However, the paper you sent around contained this valuable description:

In the BIBFRAME view, the purpose of an annotation is to:

  1.  express an opinion, for example a review of a book;
  2.  attach institution specific information, for example holdings of a book; or
  3.  contribute enhancements to a resource description, for example cover art or summary descriptions.

The key words that stood out to me are below (per list item):
1. "express an opinion"
2. "institution specific"
3. "contribute"

Your paper made it clearer (at least to me) that the actors in the stories were "sitting outside" the canonical data sources and / or were generally creating data elsewhere first, then (perhaps) contributing it.

I am still a bit puzzled by the choice of the word "annotation" for #2 and #3 above, and perhaps you can clarify it further. I certainly qualify as a "library layman." :)

To me (at least), an annotation "equation" goes something like...
original resource + annotation = a unique and greater whole

In my head (at least), I don't feel like a card in a card catalog is an annotation--simple a "statement of record" for that catalog.

However, if that same card had the sentence, "The cover's torn...sorry" scrawled on it, that note from the librarian would certainly be an annotation--but I'm not sure I'd consider the card itself to be an annotation...just a "database entry."

Perhaps you could clarify why the word "annotation" was chosen for use with holdings (#2), and that would further clear things up.

Thanks again for providing the use cases, Ray. I hope some of my musings are helpful. :)

Take care,
Benjamin

P.S.: I now have a strong desire to go find an old library card catalog somewhere and breathe in the mustiness.... :)
--
Developer Advocate
http://hypothes.is/