RE: Motivation: Gerund or Infinitive

From: Denenberg, Ray <rden@loc.gov>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 15:57:37 -0500
To: "'Web Annotation'" <public-annotation@w3.org>
From: Benjamin Young [mailto:bigbluehat@hypothes.is]<mailto:[mailto:bigbluehat@hypothes.is]>

> oa:motivatedBy comment

> has potentially different meaning than

> oa:motivatedBy commenting

> The first (to me at least) implies that my annotation was motivated by a prior

> comment

Only if you take “comment” to be a noun, but the proposal is to use the infinitive form (where the "to" part of the infinitive is implied) thus it would always be understood to be a verb.

So:

oa:motivatedBy  "comment"

says:

" motivatedBy   to comment"

Admittedly this doesn't sound as good as if the predicate were (as we thought yesterday) oa:motivation.  in that case it would say:   "motivation: to comment".   Actually I’d like to change to predicate (back) to oa:motivation.

Ray