Re: Motivations

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-openannotation/2012Oct/0002.html

> Looks like it was post #2 to the original mailing list. :)
>
> Right now things read pretty well (if they are a bit atypical) such as:
> "has motivation describing"
>
> Whereas "has motivation describe" doesn't read so good.

Using the infinitive form, there'd be an implied "to" in there: "has
motivation '[to] describe'", " has motivation '[to] bookmark'".

Using the gerundive form, there's an implied "of": "has motivation [of]
'describing'", " has motivation [of] 'bookmarking'".

I'd argue that the former reads much better than the latter.

- James

> Ray's posts in this thread do seem to highlight a desire he has (and
likely many others have) to "sub-class" (at some level) an Annotation into
a bookmark, highlight, etc. and the "legibility" of "annotation has
motivation bookmarking" feels pretty odd in the current landscape--however
accurate it may be.

> So...if we keep "hasMotivation" as written, I'd vote against changing
from "bookmarking" (etc).

> If we choose to change "describing" to "description" then we should
change "hasMotivation" also, so that the whole is more legible.

> "annotation is a description" reads nicely...but then looks like
sub-classing.

> Likely any UI or (non-SPARQL or similar) code will actually contain
sub-class style objects, UI ephemera, etc.

> In sum:
>
> Ray's original motivation was improving our cosmetics:
> "This is a cosmetic suggestion: I find these gerund construction a bit
awkward, and would prefer “straight” nouns, as in the following table."

> Would this change do that without farther reaching consequences?
>
> Curious. Mostly. :)
>
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:28 AM, Jacob Jett <jjett2@illinois.edu> wrote:
>>
>> -1 from me I'm afraid. Motivation is less about the "type" of the
annotation than the role that the body is playing in the annotation. When
it comes to specialization's of annotation I find it to be a slippery slope
of conflating role of body with structure of annotation.

>> My preference is thereby for the verb form, and specifically the gerund
because :_anno1 oa:hasMotivation oa:Tagging sounds better than :_anno1
oa:hasMotivation oa:Tag. This was the kind of discussion that led to the
creation of motivation in the community group to start with.

>> Regards,
>>
>> Jacob

>> Jacob Jett
>> Research Assistant
>> Center for Informatics Research in Science and Scholarship
>> The Graduate School of Library and Information Science
>> University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>> 501 E. Daniel Street, MC-493, Champaign, IL 61820-6211 USA
>> (217) 244-2164
>> jjett2@illinois.edu
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Denenberg, Ray <rden@loc.gov> wrote:
>>>
>>> I can go either way but I do have a preference for the noun form.
That's because I like to think of the "type" of an annotation.  It's a
bookmark,  or it's a tag, or it's a review.

>>> I do understand the reason why we don't (that is, no longer) want to
talk about the type of an annotation: because it is too suggestive of
rdf:type, i.e. the RDF class, and the class of an annotation no longer
applies (i.e. we are discouraged from subclassing oa:Annotation).  Still,
if we can get past that, I'd prefer the noun form.