W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-alreq-admin@w3.org > October to December 2015

[minutes] Arabic layout telecon 2015-12-01

From: <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 13:04:40 +0000
To: Arabic Layout Requirements mailing list <public-alreq-admin@w3.org>
Message-ID: <566583E8.7010605@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2015/12/01-alreq-minutes.html





text version follows:

Arabic Layout Task Force Teleconference

01 Dec 2015

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2015/12/01-alreq-irc

Attendees

    Present
           r12a, mostafa, Khaled, Najib, Shervin, Waseem

    Regrets
           Behnam

    Chair
           Shervin

    Scribe
           mostafa, Shervin

Contents

      * [3]Topics
      * [4]Summary of Action Items
      * [5]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    <Shervin>
    [6]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-alreq-admin/2015
    OctDec/0039.html

       [6] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-alreq-admin/2015OctDec/0039.html

    <Shervin>
    [7]http://www.w3.org/International/groups/arabic-layout/track/a
    ctions/open

       [7] 
http://www.w3.org/International/groups/arabic-layout/track/actions/open

    Najib: Re action-7, I put the draft on the Google Docs.

    <najib>
    [8]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IRgcMygoovniN_qL1cjD2WB-
    FiSyYFKlzEblvJuxRgY/edit#

       [8] 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IRgcMygoovniN_qL1cjD2WB-FiSyYFKlzEblvJuxRgY/edit

    Najib: I made some changes and am looking for more
    recommendations.
    ... Richard suggested we use a simple transliteration.
    ... I covered the six root styles.
    ... I received an email from Richard suggesting using pictures
    for showing Arabic words. I can do that.

    Shervin: Thank you. This looks good as a start.
    ... Regarding transliteration, the most important thing is to
    reach an agreement that is good enough for everybody in ths
    task force.
    ... We are not supposed to solve thoroughly the topic of
    transliteration.
    ... We have a list of references. We can put our references in
    there and cite their code in our texts.
    ... I’ll give write access to that list to do that.
    ... This is good start, once you are done, you can create a
    pull request for the document.
    ... I will send a short email discussing the basics of sending
    pull requests.
    ... I have Action-16 for this.

    <Shervin>
    [9]https://github.com/w3c/alreq/pull/20/files?diff=split

       [9] https://github.com/w3c/alreq/pull/20/files?diff=split

    Shervin: Re Action-12, I created a branch in GitHub and made
    all the changes in six or seven commits there.
    ... I went throught the links and refences and breifly
    summarized them.

    <Zakim> r12a, you wanted to talk about
    transliterations/transcriptions

    Mostafa: I saw your PR when you sent it and it seems very good
    to me. It covers a lot of topics and that gives us confidence
    when we are drafting.

    <Shervin> Close action-12

    <trackbot> Closed action-12.

    Richard: I will do Action-20 this week.

    Waseem: Re Action-21, I’ve asked a co-worker to get me a
    collection of resources and I’ll get it in a week.
    ... I haven’t seen them yet, but one of them covers Arabic
    typography.

    Shervin: Action-22 seems vague.
    ... We’ll review Action-23 when we have Behnam.

    <Shervin> NickScribe: Shervin

    <Shervin> Mostafa: The joining section happens in first
    section. Rather than joining behaviour in chap 3 have it in
    two.

    <Shervin> NickScribe: mostafa

    [10]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TSA1Ju70FaMzUD2EXTgMnZt
    jszPKBeGj5O8FtXy9SqA/edit?usp=drive_web

      [10] 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TSA1Ju70FaMzUD2EXTgMnZtjszPKBeGj5O8FtXy9SqA/edit?usp=drive_web

    Mostafa: Since we now have a new chapter on Arabic Script
    Overview, I suggest to switch to write the joining section on
    that chapter and get to joining section on the thrid chapter
    later on.

    Shervin: This seems like a good start. You can send a PR when
    you feel it’s ready.

    Richard: This is not very much important, but move commas out
    of quotation marks!

    Mostafa: +1

    Najib: The issues that is mentioned in the drafts that have to
    be taken care of are only for writing with fonts, not with
    hands.

    Mostafa: I agree, but I guess we have an assumption about that.

    Shervin: Action-27 is about folks from IBM.
    ... Two representatives joined, but I’m not seeing them on the
    IRC or the WebEx.

    <Shervin> Close ACTION-27

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-27.

    Shervin: Re Action-29, glossary is not yet complete.

    <Shervin>
    [11]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nSxYKQm_mKroCmxU4fy
    J-g70Eo1_mF89yHZg8YNOuzc/edit#gid=0&vpid=A2

      [11] 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nSxYKQm_mKroCmxU4fyJ-g70Eo1_mF89yHZg8YNOuzc/edit#gid=0&vpid=A2

    Shervin: I filtered out the list for only priorty 1 terms, but
    even that is not complete yet.
    ... We are not in good shape here. We need to put some effort
    in finishing this.
    ... Do people still have any interest into doing this?

    Richard: Last week we discussed converting this into HTML and
    putting it in the document and work on it afterwards.

    Shervin: Yes, but I saw that it doesn’t have enough words for
    that. If everybody is okay with that, I can do it.

    Richard: Looks good to me.

    <najib> I m still working on it

    Shervin: I’ll make an automated script for doing that and
    making sure diffs will be meaningful.
    ... Azzadine sent a whole translated glossary and it can be
    seen on the second sheet of the document.
    ... I’m not an expert on this. What do people think about it,
    specially Najib and Khaled?
    ... Is it possible to use these terms for filling up the first
    sheet if they sound good to you?

    Khaled: I think I can review this new sheet and if the words
    are okay I’ll move them to the first sheet.

    Najib: I’ll work on that too.

    <Shervin> ACTION for Khaled to look at entries from Azzedine
    and move the relevant translations to main sheet

    <trackbot> Error finding 'for'. You can review and register
    nicknames at
    <[12]http://www.w3.org/International/groups/arabic-layout/track
    /users>.

      [12] http://www.w3.org/International/groups/arabic-layout/track/users

    <Shervin> ACTION for najib to look at entries from Azzedine and
    move the relevant translations to main sheet

    <trackbot> Error finding 'for'. You can review and register
    nicknames at
    <[13]http://www.w3.org/International/groups/arabic-layout/track
    /users>.

      [13] http://www.w3.org/International/groups/arabic-layout/track/users

    <Shervin> ACTION najib to look at entries from Azzedine and
    move the relevant translations to main sheet

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-32 - Look at entries from azzedine
    and move the relevant translations to main sheet [on Najib
    Tounsi - due 2015-12-08].

    <Shervin> ACTION Khaled to look at entries from Azzedine and
    move the relevant translations to main sheet

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-33 - Look at entries from azzedine
    and move the relevant translations to main sheet [on Khaled
    Hosny Ghetas - due 2015-12-08].

    Shervin: I also want to point folks to a document on our
    Dropbox folder.

    <Shervin>
    [14]https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpamjmcoejj9ju6/Maajam-Typo_6488.
    pdf?dl=0

      [14] 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpamjmcoejj9ju6/Maajam-Typo_6488.pdf?dl=0

    <Shervin> ScribeNick: Shervin

    <mostafa__> [15]http://w3c.github.io/alreq/

      [15] http://w3c.github.io/alreq/

    mostafa: re Action-30. Did the pull request and it was merged.

    <mostafa__>
    [16]https://github.com/mostafah/alreq/commit/404f75daa4f6bb8375
    0db85eee92b73371759842

      [16] 
https://github.com/mostafah/alreq/commit/404f75daa4f6bb83750db85eee92b73371759842

    najib: The convention to keep the rightmost term in the
    glossary as most preferred.
    ... multiple columns can be also used.

    Shervin: Preferring to keep the format as simple as possible.
    The convention looks good to Khaled and Najib.

    <scribe> ScribeNick: mostafa

    <najib> ++1

    <Shervin> Close ACTION-30

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-30.

    <Shervin> Close ACTION-31

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-31.

    Richard: The discussion on transliteration is on GitHub.
    ... I suggest using two different transliterations for Arabic
    and Persian and not using the same for both.
    ... I also want to say that once this list is complete I can
    run them through my pickers and that create their
    transliterations automatically.
    ... I suggest using the standard Library of Congress
    transliteration method, if there’s no problem with using that.

    <r12a> [17]https://github.com/w3c/alreq/issues/16

      [17] https://github.com/w3c/alreq/issues/16

    Najib: I saw this transliteration and have already started to
    use it. I agree with Richard.

    <Shervin> ACTION mostafa to look at the ALA transliteration
    scheme for Persian.

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-34 - Look at the ala transliteration
    scheme for persian. [on Mostafa Hajizadeh - due 2015-12-08].

    Shervin: I have to look at the Persian transliteration and give
    my opinion about it. Mostafa, have you seen it?

    <Shervin> ACTION Shervin to look at the ALA transliteration
    scheme for Persian.

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-35 - Look at the ala transliteration
    scheme for persian. [on Shervin Afshar - due 2015-12-08].

    Mostafa: No, but I want to do that during this week.

    <Shervin> [18]https://github.com/w3c/alreq/issues

      [18] https://github.com/w3c/alreq/issues

    Shervin: Let’s review GitHub issues.
    ... I want to talk very shortly about issue #13, which is about
    style.
    ... Specially, I want to mention selection of a font for
    images.

    <Shervin> [19]https://github.com/w3c/alreq/issues/13

      [19] https://github.com/w3c/alreq/issues/13

    Shervin: I asked Mostafa to include his favorites. It would be
    great to hear from from others too.

    Richard: Are these suggestions for texts too, or images only?

    Mostafa: I haven’t thought about texts when talking about this.
    These are for images only.
    ... And that is for the sake of consistency.

    Shervin: I think that we don’t have to select a font for the
    text. We can use what is installed on the users computer.

    Khaled: I don’t like Sheherezade very much.

    Richard: Do we need Nastaliq for Persian too?

    +1

    Shervin: There are some Nastaliq fonts for Persian produced in
    Iran, but we might not need that in the document.
    ... If we need to demonstrate Nastaliq, we can use a
    calligrapher’s work.
    ... I encourage people to add their suggestions to that thread.
    ... Re issue #8, I still need to generate the charts from CLDR
    for the “characters” section.

    <Shervin> ACTION Shervin Change the code to generate exemplar
    charts to have multiple tables and cover CLDR root

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-36 - Change the code to generate
    exemplar charts to have multiple tables and cover cldr root [on
    Shervin Afshar - due 2015-12-08].

    Mostafa: Issues #5, #4, and #3 are like each other, and they
    need to be there so that we can cover them when we get to the
    parts that need to cover them.

    <Shervin> ScribeNick: Shervin

    Mostafa: With more issues we can use labels in GH issues.

    <scribe> ScribeNick: mostafa

    Khaled: I can work on the “numbers” section from the script
    overview.

    Shervin: Numbers is favorite topic of mine, too, specially for
    Arabic.
    ... There is a document about it. Roozbeh and I have done some
    research about it, covering bank notes.
    ... I would like to work on this too.

    <Shervin> ACTION Khaled Start the draft regarding numbers in
    use with Arabic

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-37 - Start the draft regarding
    numbers in use with arabic [on Khaled Hosny Ghetas - due
    2015-12-08].

    Shervin: Re Persian numbers, I still see the wrong set of
    numerals used in different contexts.
    ... Don’t use the term “Arabic numbers”. It’s a source of
    confusion.

    <najib> bye

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
Received on Monday, 7 December 2015 13:04:51 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 18:53:30 UTC