Re: AI KR , foundation models explained (talking about slippery things

Training foundation models for LLMs is kind of like getting them to learn about everything all at once, all mixed up. This  works thanks to the magic of gradient descent and back propagation, and addresses the challenge that understanding every day sentences requires a good grasp of common sense knowledge, creating a chicken and egg problem.

Back propagation is very slow (look at typical values for the learning rate) and very different from how humans learn. We are able to learn from single examples, and get by on a very tiny fraction of the data that LLMs require for foundation models. Chomsky referred to this as the “poverty of the stimulus”.

During childhood, our schooling introduces knowledge in a carefully organised approach with new knowledge layered on top of previously learnt knowledge.  Our grasp of common sense comes from a blend of everyday experience and what we are schooled.

In the last ten years AI has come a long way, but we are still to figure out how to mimic the economies of human learning. I am searching for the means for neural networks to memorise and generalise from sequences using single-shot learning. This means stepping away from back propagation to consider other, more biologically plausible approaches.  One paper that caught my eye combines slow learning for learning to learn, and fast learning for single-shot learning. In essence, this trains the network to learn quickly for a limited set of tasks.

Tomorrow’s AI will be very different from today’s as we gradually master quick learning and deliberative (Type 2) reasoning. Moreover, it will use a fraction of the power consumed by today’s energy hungry GPUs/TPUs.  Sparse spiking neural networks implemented with neuromorphic hardware will mimic the efficiency of the brain.  This is also likely to trigger a move away from back propagation.

There is a lot to look forward to.

Cheers,
    Dave

Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>