From: Adam Sobieski <adamsobieski@hotmail.com>
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2023 2:15 PM
To: Adeel <aahmad1811@gmail.com>; ProjectParadigm-ICT-Program <metadataportals@yahoo.com>
Cc: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>; semantic-web@w3.org <semantic-web@w3.org>; public-aikr@w3.org <public-aikr@w3.org>
Subject: Re: ChatGPT, ontologies and SPARQL

I am impressed by ChatGPT, looking forward to learning more about other systems, like Sparrow, which can cite their sources, and perhaps to seeing combinations of these systems with the capabilities of learning from interactions with bulk end-users or with bulk operations personnel, per: https://blog.allenai.org/towards-teachable-reasoning-systems-dd16659fd9f8 . On these abstract topics, I proposed a related solution, Wikianswers, a while ago: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikianswers .

I, too, am increasingly interested in interpretability, explainability, and transparency with respect to artificial neural networks, in particular with respect to those systems which, moving forward, perform artificial semantic cognition, processing concepts, categories, attributes, features, relations, models, and other semantics constructs. In the article that I hyperlinked to, I express that these capabilities, the capabilities to decode artificial neural networks, will allow the field to move beyond defining success per the Turing test.

The spaces in the middle of transforming content between languages and between modalities are interesting to me, where there are opportunities for systems to be designed with artificial concepts and artificial semantic cognition.

If you haven't already, you might enjoy:

Wei, Jason, Yi Tay, Rishi Bommasani, Colin Raffel, Barret Zoph, Sebastian Borgeaud, Dani Yogatama, Maarten Bosma, Denny Zhou, Donald Metzler, Ed H. Chi, Tatsunori Hashimoto, Oriol Vinyals, Percy Liang, Jeff Dean, William Fedus. "Emergent abilities of large language models." arXiv preprint arXiv:2206.07682 (2022).

Scaling up language models has been shown to predictably improve performance and sample efficiency on a wide range of downstream tasks. This paper instead discusses an unpredictable phenomenon that we refer to as emergent abilities of large language models. We consider an ability to be emergent if it is not present in smaller models but is present in larger models. Thus, emergent abilities cannot be predicted simply by extrapolating the performance of smaller models. The existence of such emergence raises the question of whether additional scaling could potentially further expand the range of capabilities of language models.

As large language models increase in size, more useful abilities are emerging. In addition to the scientific exploration of interpretability, explainability, and transparency, there is the matter of increasing our understanding of the nature of this phenomenon.

Best regards,
Adam