Re: definitions, problem spaces, methods

Hi Dave,

Words and quantifiers are symbols. When we take huge text corpora and
turn the words into text-prediction vectors, we create an index derived
from those symbols. By this choice of knowledge re-presentation, we can
only infer correlations, not assertions, propositions, intended
relations, or meaning. Still, with huge numbers, in bounded domains for
specific purposes, we can obtain remarkable language results. But we
have no explainability, unknown boundaries of applicability, and hence a
brittleness to their use in general settings. It is my belief, based on
my understanding of Peirce, that we will never improve on this until we
symbolically capture the intended assertions in the initial message.
through some structure such as a knowledge graph. In any case, even when
only using vector index values, we still translate back to symbolic
language through the one-to-one mapping of word token and its index.

Peirce placed representation and semiosis (study of signs) in his
mediate universal category of Thirdness. I find it tremendously helpful
to use this lens when evaluating any aspect of knowledge representation
. When we do AI using something like GPT-3 we are making an active
choice of how we will represent our knowledge to the computer. For GPT-3
and all massive data statistical models, that choice limits us to indexes.

Thanks, Mike