Re: group's quick updates, and have a nice summer all

Milton and Dave

before presenting the proposal to this CG, (will follow soon) I have been
working towards a scholarly publication, which needs to be original work so
that we have a citation (which may or may not be important but it can help
to demonstrate the originality and value of the proposed contribution)

This is why I have not shared it here yet- I need to have
original/unpublished work to get a citable reference for this work but more
importantly, I need a compact and coherent argument to present to the CG so
that members can understand what is being proposed.This is the purpose
having a paper, which was a draft until recently and finally by sacrificing
summer time, is now with the publisher and I am getting ready to disclose
it here. I doubt people in this CG want to read twenty odd pages of rather
boring scholarly stuff, but I can sum up the main points into a PPT and a
few diagrams as son as the paper is published. The timeframe for completing
a draft standard is 24 months.

 To capture the state of the art in AI KR is by all means not trivial, to
advance the state of the art is also very non trivial, this is why it is
taking time, once we have original work published, the novelty in the
proposed approach cannot be disputed by those lacking vision in the AI
research community.  They are the ones who have been creating  problems in
the last twenty years.

After  years of researching the subject, I have now defined a set of
problems, and  a solution, which could make a nice open standard (discussed
briefly with Richard during a call while I was still formulating ideas)

Before I could present these ideas here I needed  to evaluate the soundness
of the proposed approach, in the same way as I would evaluate anybody elses
proposed approach.

For that we will need the WG, and if that happens,  we ll seek consensus
from the WG members to advance the proposal to standard.

 If that does not happen, the work done to date will still be original
work. so that can be used by anyone who finds it useful (hopefully cited,
not plagiarized)  even if it does not become a standard, it can be the
basis for maturing body of work and industry support at anytime in the
future

DaveL *Did you see: Neuro-Symbolic Approaches for Knowledge
Representation in Expert Systems, 2004, Ioannis Hatzilygeroudis and Jim
Prentzas?*
Yes of course, my work builds on that

Regarding the scope of work, cognitive systems, and the universe, this is
all interesting and desirable but to ensure feasibility within the
resources available (specifically my limited time on this earth) we need to
be rigorous with the scope of what is being proposed.

We will never agree on everything about the universe, but we have run out
of lifetime arguing which may not be critical to our mission.

The solution I have come up with is feasible and tested (I can do it by
myself as a research project, or we can do it here as a WG project if we
get enough interest) and extensible. it can be reused, modified and
extended to cover any domain and scaled up to tackle any range of problems
in other domains. I ll be glad to see how my contribution can help to
address the range of areas that you Milton and Dave mention, in fact, I ll
be happy to work on use cases

  I personally need to cap my contribution to this field because I am
moving on to  tackle other challenges, and because the industry and the
world will not change, with or without  us.  But our published words will
hopefully remain, even if they'll become buried and plagiarized by others.
Scholarly plagiarism is one of the areas I ll apply the expertise gained
via AI KR on

By the end of the summer I ll share the proposal here with a call for
support to promote to WG, for those who
I can commit another term 12-14 months to promote the group to CG based on
a defined and feasible proposal, or move on,

Outline of the proposal follows,