Open Government Partnership

The international eGov initiative that I mentioned on our televideo
conference on Tuesday is the Open Government Partnership (OGP
<https://www.opengovpartnership.org/>). Unfortunately, the OGP national
action plans (NAPs
<https://www.opengovpartnership.org/develop-a-national-action-plan/>)
are not being published in an open, standard, machine-readable format.
I have published the first three US NAPs in StratML format at
https://stratml.us/drybridge/index.htm#USNAP However, in the spirit of
openness and partnership, it would be good if all of the participating
nations were to publish their own OGP plans and reports in such a format.

Here's a report from New Zealand highlighting the need for change in
their approach:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/activity-6638338468604936192-SOMQ/

An "artificial intelligence" query of the OGP site turns up 19 hits
<https://www.opengovpartnership.org/?s=artificial+intelligence>,
including the UK's 2019-2021 NAP
<https://www.opengovpartnership.org/documents/united-kingdom-action-plan-2019-2021/>,
which says:

    We are moving in a new age where technology, such as artificial
    intelligence, is making all organisations more data-driven. As the
    UK moves rapidly towards a data-driven economy, we have a real
    opportunity to harness the potential of open data further. As such
    the fourth UK National Action Plan is a critical milestone in
    realising those benefits in government and the economy as a whole.

The full version of the plan
<https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-national-action-plan-for-open-government-2019-2021/uk-national-action-plan-for-open-government-2019-2021>
on the UK's own site also says:

    Technological developments and data-driven innovations are causing
    fundamental changes to the way we live and work around the world.

    Rather than just adapting to these changes, it is vital for the UK
    to become a frontrunner in introducing new technologies and setting
    regulatory norms for technological developments such as the Internet
    of Things, Artificial Intelligence, and Blockchain. We must
    stimulate innovation and growth while ensuring that the new tools
    are harnessed to deliver maximum public good and leave no one behind.

While the UK NAP makes no particular commitments with respect to AI, it
does include these five references to "machine-readable":

    We will undertake a review of the government open data, including
    the challenges and barriers to publishing in a machine-readable and
    structured format, and identifying datasets that could offer more
    value if improved. In order to address these issues and improve open
    data within the government overall, DCMS will develop a strategic
    approach for future action.

    Review of HMG’s Open Data publication, which will identify the key
    challenges and opportunities of publishing more in machine-readable,
    standard, openly licenced formats, and set out measures to address
    this.    New    April 2019    Autumn 2019

    To provide clarity for UK-listed extractive companies, under the
    Disclosure Guidance and Transparency Rules; transparency disclosures
    are required to be in both open machine-readable data format and in
    human-readable format suitable for dissemination to as wide a public
    as possible.

    Failure of a number of UK-listed extractive companies to report
    under revised requirements for financial year 2017 in both open
    machine-readable data and human-readable format.

    We will clarify for UK-listed extractive companies, under the
    Disclosure Guidance and Transparency Rules, that transparency
    disclosures are required to be in both open machine-readable data
    format and in human-readable format suitable for dissemination to as
    wide a public as possible.    Ongoing    September 2018    December 2019

I look forward to learning if the W3C's AIKR CG might be able to help
the OGP partnering nations <https://www.opengovpartnership.org/members/>
refrain from continuing to practice artificial ignorance
<https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/artificial-ignorance-owen-ambur/> and
instead begin publishing their NAPs (as well as their AI plans) in open,
standard, machine-readable format.

Owen