Re: Emergent Semantics

> We can envision data structures, e.g. trees and graphs, which contain
recursive substructures, e.g. subtrees and subgraphs, such that each
substructure can be adorned with semantic content. We can refer to this
content which adorns structures and substructures as *emergent semantics*.

Sure, you can refer to it as pickled cucumbers too, but it is not helpful
to do so. Similarly, to refer to a bunch of data structures as 'emergent
semantics' tells me nothing about those data structures, and the vast
majority of times any set of data or knowledge structures will not likely
be regarded as 'emergent semantics' by anyone.  But that misses the point.

The real question is to tease out characteristics and aspects of what
people mean when they talk about emergent semantics, or emergent phenomenon
of any sort, e.g. consciousness is often cited as an example.   The idea of
the whole being greater than the parts seems highly relevant.  Google
'emergent semantics' and see what you get. This is one hit:
https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007%2F978-0-387-39940-9_1311

*Emergent semantics* refers to a set of principles and techniques analyzing
the evolution of decentralized semantic structures in large scale
distributed information systems. Emergent semantics approaches model the
semantics of a distributed system as an ensemble of relationships between
syntactic structures. They consider both the representation of semantics
and the discovery of the proper interpretation of symbols as the result of
a self-organizing process performed by distributed agents exchanging
symbols and having utilities dependent on the proper interpretation of the
symbols. This is a complex systems perspective on the problem of dealing
with semantics.

Good luck!

--

Michael Uschold
   Senior Ontology Consultant, Semantic Arts