From: Sebastian Samaruga <ssamarug@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2019 7:51 PM
To: paoladimaio10@googlemail.com
Cc: Owen Ambur <owen.ambur@verizon.net>; public-aikr@w3.org
Subject: Re: AI & Democracy

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019, 7:04 AM Paola Di Maio <paola.dimaio@gmail.com <mailto:paola.dimaio@gmail.com> > wrote:

Thank you Owen

My view is that humanity has not yet fully matured/emancipated, ie has not evolved

to dominate their mind and control emotions and not to lie (too much) etc

I Agree.

Once upon a time, in one of this lists, someone asked how one may state "I am" in terms of a semantic web statement. My reply was:

"iAm, complementOf, everythingWhatImNot".

The inverse could be stated by swapping subject and object.

I think the meaning of this is being able to recognize unity and disparity, and knowing the boundaries between them. With 'boundaries' I means 'rights' and 'obligations' between pairs of united / separated individuals (by their preferences, for example) being 'preferences' the means that orchestrate our interests and interactions.

Political institutions reflect the state human condition reflecting strengths (aspirations, good intentions) and limitations (....fallibility  etc.list....)

Human political institutions are composed by humans. I agree.

Democracy would be nice but I am not sure we have found a way to materialise it as such

I believe that technology can help a lot,

Maybe, I don't remember its exact name, but a balloting system where voters choose their candidates in order of preference (i.e.: not choosing one instead of another but 'sorting' them by their preferences) could help to alleviate the I-Voting and the "mayority" problem.

Now we need to look at what we mean by AI

AI should be to Human Intelligence like a bicycle is to human legs.

I don''t agree with what most people call AI at all,  for example I am struggling to explain to a friend that I believe AI  should extend and improve human capabilities, not replace them or attempt to reproduce human features to replace humans (that would be a disaster)

AI was / is developed by HI, obviously reflecting HI intentions and to enhance its capabilities. Disaster (sci-fi like) would be AI having it's own intentions and developing further intelligence...

If we can develop an AI that can help humans to become better (*more evolved, better informed, less afraid of telling the truth etc) then I am sure AI can also help

with governance

The problem (AI + Big Data of everything) is who controls or have access to this overwhelming stream of indicators. Or when decisions are delegated to machines because of this enormous amount of data. We humans, actively or passively, are not prepared for the truth about everything every time.

A lot of work to be done there, and that is why I take an interest in the subject

We have very evolved Data systems (passive facts).

We are currently developing and using advanced Information management systems (Business Intelligence and Big Data inferences).

We are scratching the surface of Knowledge aware systems, those who can reason and infer like human does.

Once this layers stack will be mainstream and fully functional, care should be taken. We could implement 'crowd-prompting' in Decision Support Systems for, for example, sensible (ethics) decisions feedback.

Best,

Sebastián.

Lets us have a link to your article

:-)