Re: Functional Needs telecon 23 July 2020

Summary

We discussed the remaining need for consensus on definitions for User Needs and Functional Outcomes. These definitions are critical for ensuring that the Functional Needs can align to the rest of the work within the Task Force.

We discussed how the current Content Creation Guideline implies that the general process of the Task Force work begins with identifying and describing the User Need – with a working description as “List group(s) of people with disabilities and the barriers they experience; Identify common needs and unique needs.” However, this writing guidance is specific to a guideline – such as Headings. This means, that the order of operations is that a guideline is the point of origin for then identifying the relevant needs. Guideline > Needs.

So once we resolve a definition of User Need, and clarify User Need versus Functional Need in the Content Creation Process, then we move on to a mapping exercise.

We discussed how the mapping is likely Guideline > Method < – > Functional Needs > Tests > Functional Outcomes. In other words, there are {n} Functional Needs that align to each method of a Guideline.

We also discussed that the Subgroup is ready to present the Functional Needs Master List <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eJkgXqbh7dx3uD6XAy8XAANmwfbbVZ5GKb_gbsUdkVs/edit#heading=h.4jiwp8jpc143> to the larger Task Force audience. And suggest that Silver accept the entire list as potentially relevant to map to Methods as opposed to limiting the list to any subset.

Jeanne and Shawn, can this get added to the agenda for a forthcoming Silver meeting?
Note: Jake is on vacation, and I am starting a new job on Monday.

Charles Hall

Senior Accessibility Designer
Invited Expert, W3C AGWG & Silver TF
Chair, W3C IDIW CG
Member, Ferndale Accessibility & Inclusion Advisory Commission