Preparing for the W3C Permissions and User Consent Workshop (was: Re: Themes for W3C Permissions and User Consent Workshop)

Colleagues,

I am excited to share the draft program for the upcoming workshop (link
buried below).

As Jason described a few days ago, the program committee's vision is to
have a series of structured discussions and minimize the number and
length of presentations - we think this will maximize the value of the
workshop.  In addition to the structured discussions, we have allocated
several blocks of "unconference" time to be filled with topics that you
want to bring up - including topics that might arise during the workshop
itself.  We also have three blocks designated for "consolidation and
planning" - time for us to collectively capture the wisdom we've gained,
plan how to use the unconference sessions, and, ultimately, plan for how
to improve the world going forward.

Given this unconventional format, I have a few suggestions for preparing
for our two days together:

-- if we have not scheduled on discussion on a topic YOU are passionate
about, please propose (and plan for) a session during the unconference
blocks.  If you're convinced that we should pre-allocate time for
something, send us a note!

-- if you have topics that you would ordinarily want to _present_,
prepare for those to be worked into the discussions along the way.  If
you need to show pictures, go ahead and prepare a minimal number of
slides.  If you strongly want to present something as a prelude to a
particular discussion, reach out to the facilitator of that session  -
the session facilitators have been given discretion to allocate some
time to presentation.

-- read through your fellow attendees' posted position statements.  We
also plan to post the answers to the application questions - if you
prefer that we not post yours, please send us a note in the next 48
hours.  You are welcome to update your position statement or answers by
sending a github pull request to the workshop repository - github links
are at the bottom of the pages.

Logistics: We will be gathering in Qualcomm building S starting at 9am
Wednesday and ending at 4pm Thursday.  I expect to have a group dinner
outing on Wednesday (and potentially a small outing on Tuesday for those
who arrive early) - details TBD.  Hotel information is at:

https://www.w3.org/Privacy/permissions-ws-2018/travel.html

And finally ... here is the schedule.  This does not yet show all
session facilitators' names - that's because we just asked some of them.
  Expect names to be appearing shortly.  If we didn't tap you, please
don't take it personally.  (Arguably, be grateful.)  Instead, lead your
own session during the unconference blocks!

https://www.w3.org/Privacy/permissions-ws-2018/schedule.html

Feel free to use this email list over the next two weeks to plot
sessions and seed ideas for your fellow participants to think about in
advance.

Lastly, if you are no longer able to join us (though I hope you will
join us - I'm excited by the group we've collected), please let me know
- the room is at capacity, and I don't want to turn anyone anyway
unnecessarily.

-- Sam Weiler, W3C