Re: TLS 1.0 "draft-ietf-tls-protocol-01.txt" Now Available

David P. Kemp wrote:

> The TLS base document should specify mandatory-to-implement algorithms
> to promote interoperability.  Currently the DES/3DES ciphersuites
> fill that role, but Blowfish or another published and freely-available
> algorithm might conceivably be suitable as the interoperable
> baseline.
>
> TLS "transform" documents could be written to specify the use of many
> other ciphersuites, published or proprietary, including RC2, RC4,
> Blowfish, SAFER, Fortezza(R), etc.  This makes it easier to add
> future ciphersuites to TLS without having to re-do the base document
> every time.

I agree, although I'd like to see at least RC4 (or alleged-RC4)
included in the mandatory list.  I think the Kerberos work is a
perfect example of how cipher suites can be defined in seperate
documents.

--
You should only break rules of style if you can    | Tom Weinstein
coherently explain what you gain by so doing.      | tomw@netscape.com