Re: TWO WEEK LAST CALL: Regularizing Port Numbers for SSL

Robert Goodwin wrote:

> Ports below 1024 are treated differently under unix-like systems: only
> root can initiate services on these ports[1], thus the operating system
> provides for some protection against a user on the system trying to subvert
> services - important particularly in the context of "secure" services.
>
> --
> Robert.Goodwin@mcc.ac.uk
>
> [1]gross oversimplification, but adequate in the circumstances I think :-)

Labeling this UNIX "hack" as a security feature is incredibly
irresponsible. It never was and it never will be. Anybody that relies on
it for protection is security hazzard waiting to be exploited.

--
Alan O. Freier               Corporate Cynic
<freier@netscape.com>        (415) 937-3638 (work)