Re: TWO WEEK LAST CALL: Regularizing Port Numbers for SSL.

Jeff,

Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> I have strong interest in adding TLS/SSL support for telnet, login, and
> ftp.
>
> The reality is that you need to have separate ports unless we want to
> force a major re-write of applications.

  I am not sure that this is necessary in all cases.  Protocol
interfacing is definatly possible.  We have done some of this
already.

> Of course, the preference would be to have TLS/SSL be implemented in
> the protocol stack and be transparent to the application whenever
> possible.

  Transport layer is another place as well.

> Jeffrey Altman * Kermit Development Group * Columbia University
>                * 612 West 115th St #716 * New York, NY * 10025 * (212) 854-1344
>     C-Kermit 5A(191) for OS/2:   http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/cko191.html
>   Kermit 95 for Windows 95/NT:   http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html

Regards,
--
Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java Development Eng.