RE: passwords

Hugo:  We did at one point consider Bellovin-Merritt for shared-key
authentication, but we decided that requiring server certification was
not a big sacrifice in the contexts we had in mind, and yielded better
security and fewer changes to existing infrastructure and code.  (For
example, Bellovin-Merritt would require clients to monitor for online
brute-force attacks on the password.)  Of course, if you want to propose
an extension allowing for BM-style two-way shared-key-based
authentication as an option in TLS, we'd have no objections to its
inclusion.

				Daniel Simon
				Cryptographer, Microsoft Corp.
				(dansimon@microsoft.com)