Re: Closing on shared-key authentication

I've been too busy, but felt this deserves a reply.

Jeff Weinstein wrote regarding password mechanisms:
>   Also note that these protocols (HTTP, POP, etc.) have to solve this
> problem anyway, since they will generally not be used with TLS any
> time soon.  Since they are already solving the problem, why do we
> need to do it again?

All programs must do I/O.  Since they all have to figure out how to do
so, why provide them with operating systems or standard libraries to
help them?

-bsy

--------
Bennet S. Yee		Phone: +1 619 534 4614	    Email: bsy@cs.ucsd.edu

Web:	http://www-cse.ucsd.edu/users/bsy/
USPS:	Dept of Comp Sci and Eng, 0114, UC San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093-0114