Re: Closing on shared-key authentication

Barb Fox wrote:

> Tom:
>
> Win is correct that the majority of people who posted on this topic
> were in favor.

I believe that this is not true.  In pursuit of proof, I went back
through all of the messages on this topic and classified the opinions
of all of the people who posted.  Here's the results:

For:
  Dan Simon  <dansimon@microsoft.com>
  Barbara Fox  <bfox@microsoft.com>
  Don Schmidt  <donsch@microsoft.com>
  Bennet Yee  <bsy@cs.ucsd.edu>
  John Macko  <jmacko@nisa.compuserve.com>
  Marc VanHeyningen  <marcvh@spry.com>
  Tim Dierks  <timd@consensus.com>
  Keith Ball  <Keith_Ball@novell.com>

Against:
  Tom Weinstein  <tomw@netscape.com>
  Phil Karlton  <karlton@netscape.com>
  Jeff Weinstein  <jsw@netscape.com>
  Taher ElGamal  <elgamal@netscape.com>
  Steve Petri  <petri@litronic.com>
  Rohit Khare  <khare@pest.w3.org>
  Eric Murray  <ericm@lne.com>
  Christopher Allen  <ChristopherA@consensus.com>
  Peter Lipp  <plipp@iaik.tu-graz.ac.at>

Note that a few people were somewhat vague as to what they felt, and I
primarily classified them based on who they were arguing with.  These
results may have no relation to how people really feel about this
proposal, but I think it's at least slightly more valuable than pulling
results out of thin air.

In any case, I think it is very clear that there's not a clear consensus
on this issue.

--
You should only break rules of style if you can    | Tom Weinstein
coherently explain what you gain by so doing.      | tomw@netscape.com