Re: Repost of CompuServe Position on Passphrases

Dan Simon wrote:

> Once again, the addition of the shared-key authentication feature to TLS
> does absolutely *nothing* to anyone who doesn't want to use it,
> implement it or support it.  No one I know of is suggesting that it
> would be in any way improper to refuse to support this feature in one's
> software, machine, installation, enterprise or Web site.  It would be
> there for those who (in Phil's opinion are foolish enough to) want to
> use it in concert with others in the same frame of mind.  So what on
> earth is the big deal?

Interoperability for one. If the community fragments into differing
authentication sub-camps, we all lose.

PK
--
Philip L. Karlton		karlton@netscape.com
Principal Curmudgeon		http://home.netscape.com/people/karlton

	This kind of rotor is known as a squirrel-cage rotor
	because the way it's wound is like a bird cage.